New Windows 10 Installs on 6.10.03

Go to solution Solved by oOSGearOo,

Hi

As mentioned Here I am having issues creating a new windows 10 VM

in the latest 6.10.03 release of Unraid.

Wondered if Anyone has successfully done this?

Ive tried with the link in the guide iso, I have also tried a install ISO maid from an

windows download media tool of off a windows machine I have.

Many thanks

--

Data

Hi

I am still struggling with this fault where I can not boot a VM to install Win10 successfully.

Here is what I have done since/recently.

I have(with Limetech's help) created and booted from brand new EFI usb key.(thank-you)

I have deleted all VM's plus V-disks.

I downloaded a fresh ISO of windows  10 installation and verified hash before

uploading to the array(cache)

I have refreshed the VirtIO iso deleting the previous one first.

I have created a brand new VM-Windows 10 The configuration shown below

1478665062_FireShotCapture002-Tower_UpdateVM-192_168.1_10.thumb.png.7913cdd6d00c8eedd538c54f48f663e4.png

When I start and run this installation attempt I get the following message as before

shown below.

MSInstall.thumb.png.7bfccddd21cb47567361fe6dfe6cdbdc.png

I do not know what more I can do try? Since so much has changed I have

created fresh diagnostics, Attached below.

tower-diagnostics-20220626-0558.zip

Here's hoping that you will have a better Idea than I on how to resolve my installation woes.

Please note that I have gone from an Intel Motherboard to a fresh newer AMD Motherboard

--

Stephen

Edited by oOSGearOo
spelling
16 minutes ago, oOSGearOo said:

Hi

I am still struggling with this fault where I can not boot a VM to install Win10 successfully.

Here is what I have done since/recently.

I have(with Limetech's help) created and booted from brand new EFI usb key.(thank-you)

I have deleted all VM's plus V-disks.

I downloaded a fresh ISO of windows  10 installation and verified hash before

uploading to the array(cache)

I have refreshed the VirtIO iso deleting the previous one first.

I have created a brand new VM-Windows 10 The configuration shown below

1478665062_FireShotCapture002-Tower_UpdateVM-192_168.1_10.thumb.png.7913cdd6d00c8eedd538c54f48f663e4.png

When I start and run this installation attempt I get the following message as before

shown below.

MSInstall.thumb.png.7bfccddd21cb47567361fe6dfe6cdbdc.png

I do not know what more I can do try? Since so much has changed I have

created fresh diagnostics, Attached below.

tower-diagnostics-20220626-0558.zip 105.33 kB · 0 downloads

Here's hoping that you will have a better Idea than I on how to resolve my installation woes.

Please note that I have gone from an Intel Motherboard to a fresh newer AMD Motherboard

--

Stephen

Change the model to "q35-6.2", change all hard disk controllers to "SATA", and then try. If it still fails, I have no choice20220626162434.thumb.png.9163a3e6df0a81f80aa1a259bb1355d3.png

Edited by song
12 minutes ago, song said:

Change the model to "q35-6.2", change all hard disk controllers to "SATA", and then try. If it still fails, I have no choice20220626162434.thumb.png.9163a3e6df0a81f80aa1a259bb1355d3.png

Hi

Thanks for the reply Song, I see also your on Seabios, that option is greyed out for me.

I did go and change to "Machine" Q35-6.2 if that's what you meant by  change model!?

No change in the result.

--

Stephen

8 minutes ago, oOSGearOo said:

Hi

Thanks for the reply Song, I see also your on Seabios, that option is greyed out for me.

I did go and change to "Machine" Q35-6.2 if that's what you meant by  change model!?

No change in the result.

--

Stephen

If it is gray and cannot be changed, you need to remove this virtual machine and add a new virtual machine to change these configurations

3 hours ago, song said:

If it is gray and cannot be changed, you need to remove this virtual machine and add a new virtual machine to change these configurations

Hi Song

Yes If I create a fresh VM then I can select seabios, that and setting the VM as follows, 

1496959008_Tower_AddVM-192_168.1_10.thumb.png.b40eb12366449ad42d2d1dbc16ac837c.png

When the VM is started I goes through like this,1723793742_QEMU(Windows10)1-noVNC-192_168.1_10.thumb.png.71b50919694c91d4f2cee6ecb3a19fb5.png

and will just sit there doing nothing, just a blinking cursor.

Help......... anyone?

EDIT:: Its like these disk's are NOT bootable. Downloaning win11 just to see if it will work. ::Edit

Edited by oOSGearOo
16 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That still looks to me like a corrupt ISO, maybe it's getting corrupt during the transfer to Unraid.

Thanks that thought had gone through my mind as well.

Can you help with the command to hash check in CLi??

Or is there an app that does check sums!??

I did try a few days ago doing a checksum in the cli, but could not figure out the syntax,

how to lay it all out. Both what you where checking and also the checksum to check against.

Many thanks JorgeB

Edit: perhaps the color coding on the files denotes something(exe)CLI.png.1ece84b34a38837f5d8aa47d1d100953.png

Edited by oOSGearOo
1 hour ago, oOSGearOo said:

Hi Song

Yes If I create a fresh VM then I can select seabios, that and setting the VM as follows, 

1496959008_Tower_AddVM-192_168.1_10.thumb.png.b40eb12366449ad42d2d1dbc16ac837c.png

When the VM is started I goes through like this,1723793742_QEMU(Windows10)1-noVNC-192_168.1_10.thumb.png.71b50919694c91d4f2cee6ecb3a19fb5.png

and will just sit there doing nothing, just a blinking cursor.

Help......... anyone?

EDIT:: Its like these disk's are NOT bootable. Downloaning win11 just to see if it will work. ::Edit

Do you use two different brands of memory? My friend installed unraid using two different brands of memory, causing the transmission image to be damaged. Unplug the other memory and restore it to normal. The transmission image is complete and can be installed normally

13 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

After downloading the file in Windows run in Powershell

certutil -hashfile path_to_file MD5

After transferring the file to Unraid run in the console:

md5sum path_to_file

Compare both results.

Thanks JorgeB

Iam on linux so I have used my knowledge to good use.

I did not check the sum against M$ hash when downloaded however (after rename and uploading the rename),

I find the following smoking gun.

1357271894_hashcompare.png.eafbf8fb32e9c22f5d9e6ad5a1e8df7b.png

Same command md5sum works in Linux to, top on download machine.

--

Stephen

• Solution
53 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yep, corrupt ISO.

Yup ive been copying with the file manger built into unraid which for me  = corrupt iso's

Solution FileZilla FTP the iso  = image below. :P

winsetup.png.6f3515a3533331ba6c36e6e1a87643d3.png

Now I can do the rest   THANKS to ALL who helped big and small.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Extremely unlikely that is the problem.

Hi

Well all I know is it was not working. Everyone seemed to think it was corrupt ISO's.

Iam just stating how I was uploading them. I will stress that also new key an UFI boot also,

maybe they where not corrupt before and something else was wrong.........

--

Stephen

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You could just update, but re-reinstalling will get the latest version, so it's OK.

Hi

Cant say I wasn't impressed with speed when I copied the iso across(5Gb+) but it was copied correctly and worked.

Thanks

Ps that's the speed off the copy over 1Gb lan

Edited by oOSGearOo