cause of file transfer failures due to "file system limitation"?

I was trying to move files from another machine (a Synology NAS) to a new Unraid v6.10.2 server. I noticed that certain files cannot be moved to the new Unraid shares: Windows gave the error message "Error 0x80070299: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation". However, the same files could be moved without issue to a Windows PC's hard drive formatted with NTFS. Despite this, moving first to Windows and then to Unraid would not work.

I eventually got the files to transfer by first transferring to an old Unraid server running on v5.0.6, which returned the message "are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties? The file ...mp3 has properties that can't be copied to the new location". After confirming, I could in turn transfer them to the new Unraid server without issue. My old Unraid server disks are using reiserfs, while my new Unraid server's disks are xfs encrypted, and its cache pool is btrfs encrypted.

So I'm curious, what could be these "file system limitation" or "file properties" that are causing the transfer to fail? How come transferring the files to the old reiserfs-based Unraid disks allowed the incompatible properties to be removed, but not when transferring to the new xfs and btrfs Unraid disks?

Hi,

I had the same problem with 544 mp3 files of just under 16k.

My solution was to move the files so that the defective ones were remain.
I simply re-converted them.
I suspect that a very old tagging tool was the problem here.
By re-converting from mp3 to mp3 the problem disappears and the files can be moved to unraid.
Greetings Uwe

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I have the same problem like above when trying to do a sync backup of my iTunes folder to my Unraid server. I tested several tools like Microsoft SyncToy, SyncFolder and SyncFolders (all this programs worked fine together with my old Synology NAS). But on my new Unraid server only some MP3s are copied fine but with others the process stopped with the error message "The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation." Two other sync jobs with my pictures (all jpg) and documents (several file types) worked fine. Do you have any solution? Actually I don't want to re-convert all my mp3 only because the Unraid server has some wired problems.