[SOLVED]after one hour, intermittent video and/or audio skips

I notice after an hour when the drives spin down, I get a video and audio hiccup.  Then after that, playback will skip every few minutes.  Other times it takes 2 hours for this to start happening.  I don't really know how to troubleshoot this issue.  I'm pretty sure it's the unraid box because I never get skips on my desktop pc.

edit: I should have read the tips direction more carefully.  My problem with skips was cause I wasnt using the directory cache script.  I am using that script right now and no more video skips.

syslog-2011-05-24.txt

If you think it's unraid spinning drives down, have you tried changing the spin-down delay? Set it to Never and see what happens.

Be sure to check the default under settings and then each drive (Main->Parity, Main->Disk1, Main->Disk2...) in case they have their own delays set.

@cartbaby: You don't say, but what sorts of files are you streaming?  Are they DVD rips with VOB files?  (With VOBs a film is generally split across multiple files).  If so, what are your unRAID split-level settings?  (These are intended to allow you to ensure that films and the like are not spread across multiple drives).

@cartbaby: You don't say, but what sorts of files are you streaming?  Are they DVD rips with VOB files?  (With VOBs a film is generally split across multiple files).  If so, what are your unRAID split-level settings?  (These are intended to allow you to ensure that films and the like are not spread across multiple drives).

My user share has a split-level of 2.  I think that makes sure my particular movie folder is all on one drive.  I'm streaming bluray folders.

If you think it's unraid spinning drives down, have you tried changing the spin-down delay? Set it to Never and see what happens.

Be sure to check the default under settings and then each drive (Main->Parity, Main->Disk1, Main->Disk2...) in case they have their own delays set.

I'll have to check this.  I remember using default setting of 1 hour without problems, so I hadn't tried changing it yet.  But tonight I'll try it.

What client are you streaming to?

What is your network setup?

Are you saying that you can stream from the PC to the client without issue? OR

Are you saying that you playback the video directly from the PC without issue?

In order for unRAID to spin-down a drive, there has to be inactivity on that drive for 1 hour (using default settings).  Don't know how your drive would spin-down while watching a movie...

What client are you streaming to?

What is your network setup?

Are you saying that you can stream from the PC to the client without issue? OR

Are you saying that you playback the video directly from the PC without issue?

In order for unRAID to spin-down a drive, there has to be inactivity on that drive for 1 hour (using default settings).  Don't know how your drive would spin-down while watching a movie...

I'm using a dune smart H1 for streaming.

I have a gigabit lan.  The dune is not gigabit though.

I'm streaming from my desktop pc without issue.

When I say there is spin-down, I'm only referring to the other 4 drives not being accessed.  Ya I didnt mean to imply all drives spin-down while I'm streaming.