[6.10.3] Does moving files cause UNRAID to consider the files "new" and moves them to the Cache Pool?

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I need to reorganize some files and folders in my primary array.

The total amount of data that I need to move is way larger than my cache pool.

If I move the files in Windows 10, will UNRAID consider those as "new" files and move them into the cache pool?

If so, then I'm thinking that I might have to temporarily disable my cache pool.  Would that be the best practice way to do this?

I have to move the files in Windows 10, not using UNRAID.

I am using a Windows 10 app to move "orphaned" movie files (.mkv, .srt, etc) into their own folders.

Thank you!

Depends on what you mean by "move" and how you're moving them.

If you're moving them between shares, and the destination share is use cache yes / prefer then it will wind up on the cache pool

If you're moving within the same share, then the move is instantaneous and the file will stay on the exact same hard drive as the source.

If you're using a so-called "rootshare", then the file will also always stay on the same drive.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Depends on what you mean by "move" and how you're moving them.

If you're moving them between shares, and the destination share is use cache yes / prefer then it will wind up on the cache pool

If you're moving within the same share, then the move is instantaneous and the file will stay on the exact same hard drive as the source.

If you're using a so-called "rootshare", then the file will also always stay on the same drive.

I'm using this Windows 10 app to perform automated reorganizing:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19707/quickly-copy-movie-files-to-individually-named-folders/

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

The above still applies - Within same share, the file stays on the same disk.  Different shares the destination will follow the use cache rules on the destination.  Using a rootshare file stays on the same disk

Thank you sir!