Disk error and disable. What could be issue causing it?

Hello everyone, I'm quite new with Unraid (using it around 3 or 4 months now)

Recently, I faced an issue with my array that one of my disk got disabled

Luckly, I still can rebuild my disk since I have 1 parity disk but I do lost some of mine data when I using xfs_repair to repair disk

So I really want to know what is reason causing it so I could prevent it to happen again, is it just bad cable or it is something else ?

Thanks everyone

elephantzoo-diagnostics-20220625-1923.zip

SATA is one of the worst connectors ever designed.  What you're seeing is due to a poor connection (or excess use of power splitters) a drop off and continual reset of the drive until finally the system gave up and simply disabled the drive.

Reseat the connectors (both ends) and rebuild the drive, taking care not to breathe too heavily on any other connections and then rebuild the drive.

This can also be caused in some rare cases by EMI interference from trying to make the system pretty inside by cable management.  Data (sata) cables shouldn't in an ideal world ever be tied together (so that any EMI is random and not continuous) and never ever ever use tie straps to perform any cable management -> use velcro.

I believe I've recently had an EMI issue myself. I had a bad power supply that was arcing voltage inside, probably due to a bad capacitor. You can hear the voltage noise from 20 feet away. I think it was getting inside everything on my system. Tried changing out cables, reseating everything and moving cables around. Misc drives being flagged with CRC errors, and even one drive being disabled.

Just to be extra safe after I replaced the power supply and all cables, I went a little unconventional and also put snap-on ferrite beads around all SATA cables and the main trucks of my power cable splitters. Thirty dollars of what the heck why not, and so far so good with no CRC errors on 10 hard drives and one SSD cache drive. Would have probably been fine with just a new power supply. It would have been interesting to keep the bad power supply while adding ferrite beads.

8 hours ago, Squid said:

SATA is one of the worst connectors ever designed.  What you're seeing is due to a poor connection (or excess use of power splitters) a drop off and continual reset of the drive until finally the system gave up and simply disabled the drive.

Reseat the connectors (both ends) and rebuild the drive, taking care not to breathe too heavily on any other connections and then rebuild the drive.

This can also be caused in some rare cases by EMI interference from trying to make the system pretty inside by cable management.  Data (sata) cables shouldn't in an ideal world ever be tied together (so that any EMI is random and not continuous) and never ever ever use tie straps to perform any cable management -> use velcro.

Currently, I using this cable for my drivers

Could it be a root cause of my issues ?

If it is, how many drivers you think I should use with that cable

image.png.17b45909d4d866a93c048f5d4c3ee74e.png