Unable to boot MS Server 2019 iso

I have a new Unraid server setup and I've been trying to get Windows Server 2019 to boot the install ISO but I keep getting the error in attached picture. I've tried multiple ISO's, including the eval one directly from Microsoft, and using the default settings for a new Server 2016 VM in Unraid. As far as I know those defaults should work just fine without tweaking anything.

I can boot Ubuntu Server install ISO just fine, but NOT Windows Server.

Any ideas?

Screenshot 2022-06-25 194750.png

8 hours ago, MAM59 said:

use "Windows 10" as your template. And you need to select a bios type with UEFI.

Using the WIndows 10 template doesn't matter - it's the same as the Server 2016 template. I tried it, same result.

The default bios selected is OVMF, which I'm pretty sure is UEFI.

3 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

are you trying to install from cd, usb stick or PXE ??? ?

This is really strange (2019 is still quite harmless when it comes to install)

It's a VM, so I create the VM in the VM section, select Server 2016, and then select the server 2019 ISO located in my ISO share. I tested with a Ubuntu server ISO and it works fine. But when I try to do it with a windows server 2019 iso, I get that image during first boot, meaning I can't even get to the install. It will first say "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" as usual, I press Enter, and that error occurs.

ok, so it is an emulated cd (dvd)... I just wanted to be sure (I also install VMs with PXE over the LAN quite often, too lazy to find a working iso :-))) )

corrupt iso comes in mind too, but in this early stage? I dont think so. You just need a folder /boot with some BCD and bin files in it (and fonts and such stuff). The complicated corruption part comes later if the WIM got too big and you have the wrong filesystem...

have you tried a differnent windows ? (W10 or W11) or older server ?

6 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

ok, so it is an emulated cd (dvd)... I just wanted to be sure (I also install VMs with PXE over the LAN quite often, too lazy to find a working iso :-))) )

corrupt iso comes in mind too, but in this early stage? I dont think so. You just need a folder /boot with some BCD and bin files in it (and fonts and such stuff). The complicated corruption part comes later if the WIM got too big and you have the wrong filesystem...

have you tried a differnent windows ? (W10 or W11) or older server ?

I think it was getting corrupted somehow. I was using the Dynamix File Manager plugin and uploading the ISO from my machine to Unraid box. Instead I used qbittorrent to download the ISO this time and now it boots fine.