Help for newbies, dont hide menu entries, grey them out instead

It happened to me today once more. I was asking for a feature to stop those SMART warnings from older drives. They were daily driving me crazy, I even turned off that SMART section not to be bothered anymore (but of course, I wanted to be informed about NEW errors).

Somebody gave me the hint to click on the thumbs down icon of the drive and hit "acknowledge".

Very nice, UNRAID stored the current error counter and stopped complaining. Just what I wanted!

But... The GUI is miserable for such things. Even if I searched carefully before (opening every submenu and hoping to find something I was looking for), I had no chance to see it.

The entry only appears after a drive has failed. So there is no possibility to find (and hopefully remember it) it before.

I think it would be more helpful if all menus show every possible (if possible 🙂 of course you cannot show something that only shows up if a certain plugin is installed) choice but with greyed out entries as long as they do not apply.

10 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

It happened to me today once more. I was asking for a feature to stop those SMART warnings from older drives. They were daily driving me crazy, I even turned off that SMART section not to be bothered anymore (but of course, I wanted to be informed about NEW errors).

Somebody gave me the hint to click on the thumbs down icon of the drive and hit "acknowledge".

Very nice, UNRAID stored the current error counter and stopped complaining. Just what I wanted!

But... The GUI is miserable for such things. Even if I searched carefully before (opening every submenu and hoping to find something I was looking for), I had no chance to see it.

The entry only appears after a drive has failed. So there is no possibility to find (and hopefully remember it) it before.

I think it would be more helpful if all menus show every possible (if possible 🙂 of course you cannot show something that only shows up if a certain plugin is installed) choice but with greyed out entries as long as they do not apply.

have you thoroughly explored the Help built into the GUI?    It is available at the page level via the ‘?’ Toggle at the top right of the GUI and also in most cases at the individual field level by clicking on the field description.

26 minutes ago, itimpi said:

have you thoroughly explored the Help built into the GUI?

of course not :-)))

I come from an age where "RTFM!" was a crime 😁

I don't say, it could not be found, I say, "it could be better visible". Usually you dont know that a feature even exists, so you do not search for it. Sometimes its even hard to guess, where to start searching. And a small greyed out menu entry is not the solution, but may be used as a visible clue for "there is something, go and search for it".

(maybe my english is not good enough to explain my thoughts...)

24 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

of course not :-)))

I come from an age where "RTFM!" was a crime 😁

I don't say, it could not be found, I say, "it could be better visible". Usually you dont know that a feature even exists, so you do not search for it. Sometimes its even hard to guess, where to start searching. And a small greyed out menu entry is not the solution, but may be used as a visible clue for "there is something, go and search for it".

(maybe my english is not good enough to explain my thoughts...)

I understand your original thoughts.

You would be surprised how many users do not even know the built-in help exists :(