Out Of Memory Errors Killing My VM Every Night

Go to solution Solved by Michael_P,

Thank you.  I tried lowering just Jacket to 1gb and it still crashed last night. I will continue to test different settings until I can get it to stay on. Is the simple answer to this to buy more memory? I have used this setup for years without the problem, so I figured it was an update or a changed setting that was causing the issue.

1 hour ago, black296tuuk said:

Thank you.  I tried lowering just Jacket to 1gb and it still crashed last night. I will continue to test different settings until I can get it to stay on. Is the simple answer to this to buy more memory? I have used this setup for years without the problem, so I figured it was an update or a changed setting that was causing the issue.

What time is your Plex scheduled tasks set to run?

• Solution

46 minutes ago, black296tuuk said:

Start at 2 and end at 5. Everything on that page is checked except for "Update all Libraries During Maintenance"

That's what's running you OOM. Mine started doing it after upgrading from 6.8.3 to 6.10.3, haven't figured out why yet, likely doesn't like a media file for some reason when it generates thumbs and runs away. Doesn't do it if you change all of these to never

image.png.9035d538d2b60d46d591033ec0ce0f65.png

You can change it to whatever you want when you add media, just make sure to disable them again before the scheduled task. 

I set a memory limit based on @Squid's suggestion above, going to test tonight to see if it runs away again.

47 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

That's what's running you OOM. Mine started doing it after upgrading from 6.8.3 to 6.10.3, haven't figured out why yet, likely doesn't like a media file for some reason when it generates thumbs and runs away. Doesn't do it if you change all of these to never

image.png.9035d538d2b60d46d591033ec0ce0f65.png

You can change it to whatever you want when you add media, just make sure to disable them again before the scheduled task. 

I set a memory limit based on @Squid's suggestion above, going to test tonight to see if it runs away again.

How much memory do you have and what limit did you set?

Edited by black296tuuk