Plex is in read only mode

I overflowed my cache yesterday, and once again, the Plex database got corrupted.  At least I'm getting good at restoring from an old database.

So I copied over an older copy, but the UI wouldn't load.  I go into the Log, and see these lines over and over...

Starting Plex Media Server.
Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3_statement_backend::loadOne: attempt to write a readonly database (N4soci10soci_errorE)
Stopping Plex Media Server.
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

How do I enable writing to the database?  I hadn't come across this before...

02:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9215 PCIe 2.0 x1 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller [1b4b:9215] (rev 11)
	Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9215 PCIe 2.0 x1 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller [1b4b:9215]
04:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9215 PCIe 2.0 x1 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller [1b4b:9215] (rev 11)
	Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9215 PCIe 2.0 x1 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller [1b4b:9215]

Marvell controllers are NOT recommended and are a likely cause of the communication problems with multiple disks.

• Like 1

I've ordered a new card, and it will be here tomorrow.

I had (as far as I know) a working Disc 7 that I was rebuilding when my second parity disc went down.  Do I assume that Disc 7 is trash, and rebuild it from my working parity, or should I assume disc 7 is OK, and rebuild parity from that?  My guess is the safer bet is to rebuild 7 from the working parity drive.

Marvell chipset isn't inherently bad, most customers are without a doubt using one if connected to their motherboards instead of dedicated HBA. In fact, it's a great option to e.g. cheap SIL which often has firmware that will park heads like a madman, Marvell won't. I find it's unfitting that a mod would blindly point fingers to it like in this thread, when the symptoms don't specifically match at all. I took a deep dive into the reference, and it's entirely IOMMU/vt-d(virtualization) related, symptoms include loosing all drives, and would have to be triggered by a system upgrade or BIOS changes if it already worked. 

Change the controller for troubleshooting sure, but I highly doubt it's related if you still see at least some drives connected to it. If anything I'd check if the cables and connections are good, first.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Change the controller for troubleshooting sure, but I highly doubt it's related if you still see at least some drives connected to it. If anything I'd check if the cables and connections are good, first.

Well, I wondered, since only 1 of those drives use the Marvell card.  The other is on the motherboard directly (disc 7, the first one to get out of sync).

I figured that maybe the Marvell cards were somehow screwing up other SATA connections, since I didn't know anything about the Marvell problem, and was too much in a panic to do so.

I'll wait until the card comes in and replace it, then rebuild disc 7 and Parity 2 from the working parity drive.

So frustrated right now…

so I get 2 new SATA cards (mentioned above). Take the old Maxell cards out, put new ones in, hook everything up. Start it up, and the 2 drives that were out of sync don’t show up at all, as well as a third drive. 

Shut down, replace the SATA cables for those 3 drives. Start it back up, now FOUR drives are missing. They don’t seem to be on the same card, ones even in the motherboard. Aaaaack…

OK, I tried the Maxell cards, no difference.  I then pulled every drive out, and reset all the cables.  I think there was a MOLEX splitter that had come loose.  Now all drives are showing up, and my disc 7 and parity 2 are being rebuilt, and I have the non-Maxell cards in and running.

So after ALL that, I'm back to square one:  My Plex database won't run because of a read only error.

I'm going to set a Minimum Free Space for my cache when my rebuild is complete.

Squid asked if my cache is read only.  I never got an answer to that since my system went belly up.  Does anyone see anything of interest here?

kaokulk-diagnostics-20220630-2322.zip

So now I'm back to this non-stop message:

Starting Plex Media Server.
Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3_statement_backend::loadOne: attempt to write a readonly database (N4soci10soci_errorE)
Stopping Plex Media Server.
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]