Only if there is a subfolder for each container holding the various threads. I really can't imagine trying to sort out the chaos that would be created if Unraid's entire list of containers had random threads mixed together. As you said, it's bad enough having one thread per container, having possibly hundreds of threads referencing hundreds of different containers all mixed together?

It is definitely confusing for a newby to be told to create a new thread for their general Unraid issue, and then turn around and tell them they CAN'T create a new thread for their container issue, they must use the existing thread. Fixing that would mean creating a new subfolder in the forum for each new container as it's created, and considering the bar for container creation is so low it would mean creating a new subfolder in the forum every few days, most of which would only ever have one thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

99% of the issues with any random container aren't actually a problem with the container or the template, but rather with the app itself.  Those types of questions are all more suitable for whatever means the Project has for support / issues - Whether that's a completely separate forum or a GitHub issue.

It is however basically somewhat unreasonable for any given template maintainer to have to continually scan all unread topics to try and find something that is relevant to their template (or for another user to do the same if they are knowledgeable on a particular container and able to assist).

11 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

considering the bar for container creation is so low

Depends upon how you think of it.  Is the template author the one reasonable for the support on the app itself?  Should only maintainers who also create the container be allowed?  Or, should only the app authors themselves be allowed to create templates?

You'd be shocked to learn just how much time and effort goes into policing the app eco-system on Unraid.

Personally however while I think that there should be the dedicated threads to each app, it's a little pet-peeve of mine seeing all those "Please Use The Correct Forum" as a stock response for what may be a simple question / answer.  (And yes I am also guilty of it)

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, IMTheNachoMan said:

Right now there is one support thread for a Docker container and everyone uses that. It is quite chaotic. 

It would make more sense to use one thread for each issue. Otherwise it is so hard to trace a discussion on one specific issue.

The moment that happens is the moment I and perhaps others prune that entire forum subsection off our "New Posts" feed. That is to say we ignore it entirely. All of it ignored. We dont have time to sort through 240+ new threads for Docker Apps we don't use. Your intention may be good but the actual impact is less community members will be willing to help out where they can.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:42 PM, BRiT said:

less community members will be willing to help out where they can

Fair. But I also think the current way results in less members willing to help out where they can cause they have to figure out what comment goes to what in a multi-page thread. I will be honest, I personally can probably help a lot of folks with some of the questions they have but I don't have time to read through multiple pages to see who said what, why, etc...

The way other support forums do it, from what I've seen, is by using tags or prefixing post titles using some standard so you can filter on what you care about. 

Or is it possible to create sub-sub forums specific for each Docker conainer?

Or take Docker container support off of Unraid forums and to their GitHub repo or something? GitHub issues kinda makes more sense to me anyway.

IMO the current "usual" way works fine, i.e. a thread for one app/template, if you have issues with it you read the last couple of pages and do a search in the thread to see if it was already discussed (anything older is likely not relevant anymore) and if not you ask your question. Haven't seen much mixing up since when something's wrong that's what everyone will be talking about.

What I don't like is when there is one single support thread for ALL the dozens of a prolific template author's apps, there it causes a crazy mess, IMO that shouldn't be allowed. One thread per template is a good balance (and easier to search for too).

BTW is there a way to report templates or such? I lost a few hours a couple of weeks ago trying to get going with some templates from one author before looking up the support thread (which was one of those "all in ones") and seeing others having issues and the author going "well I just made the templates from the registry, never figured out how to make them work"... well don't publish them then.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

IMO the current "usual" way works fine,

And that is fine -- that it works for you. I was sharing feedback that it doesn't work for me. And I'm nothing special or unique. If it doesn't work for me then there are other folks like me that it doesn't work for. I understand if nobody wants to make the change because there aren't enough folks like me -- that's just how it is when you're in the minority group. But I wanted to raise the feedback so others who feel like me can chime in -- that would give a true sense of what majority vs minority opinion.

What I don't like is when there is one single support thread for ALL the dozens of a prolific template author's apps,

Yeah, that was how things originally were, and there still is some adherents to it, but it is not encouraged for authors to do things like that.

BTW is there a way to report templates or such?

PM myself

• Like 1