Anyone running Plex and Jellyfin side by side sharing the same media shares ?

E-ManN

Hi All,

I on my UNRAID server V# 6.10.3 I have both Plex V# 1.27.1.5916 and Jellyfin V#10.8.1 running on it.  It also has OMBI request system running with the Plex setup configured and all 3 OMBI databases on Maria DB server.

I have just finished a test run of Jellyfin ... I was mostly looking into the live TV & DVR part which is free. Currently my Jellyfin movies and TV Shows libraries is pointed to a sample sample set share with 1 movie and 2 TV Show Series.

MY questions are, if I point my Jellyfin library to the same share as my Plex libraries ...

• will I break my Plex library ?  ... googling this I have seen that it is possible to break the Movies\TV fanart box icons on Plex in this scenario.
  • is it a good idea to turn on OMBI requests to include Jellyfin ? I see that Jellyfin has their own version of a request system ... the Docker app is called Jellyserr.  I would prefer to go the OMBI configured to use Jellyfin in addtion to  Plex as that would mean one less container to install and configure.  🙂
  •  I don't have to worry about load problems as I plan to primarily use Jellyfin for LiveTV & PVR and other than that a backup to Plex in the event that Plex is down or broken ... both my Samsung Tizen smart TVs have the Jellyfin 3rd party app pushed to them ... that was an adventure to get that installed as Jellyfin app is not in the Samsung smarthub store.  It was a good learning experience in case I have to push another 3rd party app to my TV.  Love the Samsung TVs but hate the propriatory Tizen OS.  Go Android Samsung and put google play store on!

other than that any other gotchas I should be looking out for ? ... thanks,

E

Edited by E-ManN
typo

Both are now running, but I share the same directories with both of them because they serve separate purposes. Other than having to deal with 2 different sets of titles that don't match, I have no problems. When I was viewing plex one time on jellyfin, I once had a problem with ffmpeg hoarding resources. Continuously buffering in place However, the issue was isolated, and I haven't seen any problems on the newly created server since that time.

cookie clicker

Edited by Aufderhar
3 hours ago, Aufderhar said:

Both are now running, but I share the same directories with both of them because they serve separate purposes. Other than having to deal with 2 different sets of titles that don't match, I have no problems. When I was viewing plex one time on jellyfin, I once had a problem with ffmpeg hoarding resources. Continuously buffering in place However, the issue was isolated, and I haven't seen any problems on the newly created server since that time.

thanks for your reply Aufderhar,

I don't think I will have to deal with the buffering issue as I will not be streaming from both at the same time.  My users don't even know that I am running Jellyfin as well.  🙂 

I just want Jellyfin for the live TV and DVR.  If I record stuff on Jellyfin DVR and media is shared I am hoping plex should see the DVR recordings from Jellyfin and able to play them.

"Other than having to deal with 2 different sets of titles that don't match" ... what do you mean by that ? Can you elaborate further ?

All I am really after here is to make sure I don't break my Plex libraries\scrapers\boxart.  All my movies and TV show as recognized no problem by plex.  I don't have multiple copies of the same movie or TV Shows with different resoultion ie\ 720k\1080p\4k.  I am using properly named Movies and TV shows.  I use filebot to fix all TV shows and movies after downloaded reguardless of if they are formatted in another properly formatted version of the names Plex accepts ...

• TV shows organized in the show name folder,  with sub folders for each season, with each episode correctly identified
    • ie\  1883\1883.S01\1883 - S01E01 - 1883.mp4
  • after download all my media is run thru handbrake and converted to .mp4 ... I find this foramt works best for newer Tizen Samsung TVs, as they cannot play .MKV when using the native DLNA player on it.  MY older Samsung pre 2016 Plays all formats with native Sasmsung DLNA player.  Sometimes If I don't want to stream from Plex App I use the source button on TV Remote and select Plex server and stream using Samsung's native DLNA player ... box art is primitive compared to Plex .... but just another option.  🙂 

I like them all to follow the same naming convention format.

thanks again,

E

• Like 1
On 7/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, E-ManN said:

thanks for your reply Aufderhar,

I don't think I will have to deal with the buffering issue as I will not be streaming from both at the same time.  My users don't even know that I am running Jellyfin as well.  🙂 

I just want Jellyfin for the live TV and DVR.  If I record stuff on Jellyfin DVR and media is shared I am hoping plex should see the DVR recordings from Jellyfin and able to play them.

"Other than having to deal with 2 different sets of titles that don't match" ... what do you mean by that ? Can you elaborate further ?

All I am really after here is to make sure I don't break my Plex libraries\scrapers\boxart.  All my movies and TV show as recognized no problem by plex.  I don't have multiple copies of the same movie or TV Shows with different resoultion ie\ 720k\1080p\4k.  I am using properly named Movies and TV shows.  I use filebot to fix all TV shows and movies after downloaded reguardless of if they are formatted in another properly formatted version of the names Plex accepts ...

• TV shows organized in the show name folder,  with sub folders for each season, with each episode correctly identified
    • ie\  1883\1883.S01\1883 - S01E01 - 1883.mp4
  • after download all my media is run thru handbrake and converted to .mp4 ... I find this foramt works best for newer Tizen Samsung TVs, as they cannot play .MKV when using the native DLNA player on it.  MY older Samsung pre 2016 Plays all formats with native Sasmsung DLNA player.  Sometimes If I don't want to stream from Plex App I use the source button on TV Remote and select Plex server and stream using Samsung's native DLNA player ... box art is primitive compared to Plex .... but just another option.  🙂 

I like them all to follow the same naming convention format.

thanks again,

E

My UNRAID server had it's regularly scheduled weekly full backup last night.  I just finished pointing Jellyfin to same Media shares as Plex.  Jellyfin library scan completed and all media is now being shared by both media servers. 

There are a couple of TV Shows which Jellyfin scrapers did not get the proper TV show name and boxart (Plex has no issue identifying the same shows) ... I will manually correct those.  Not bad for a small library of 204 movies, 110 TV Shows, 289 seasons 4359 episodes.   🙂

thanks for your help Aufderhar.

thanks,

E