Parity Disk Slows Unraid Tremendously and Takes forever to Write Making it Uselss

Go to solution Solved by Amagner,

Hello, Its been quite some time since i posted and I thank the previous moderators for the help of the old case

Seems that the Issue has come back without me changing any cables or anything, Parity disk are taking almost a whole 2 months to go through the scan and finish the parity checks. I want to replace two drives but this parity check prior to that is taking quite some time, I also wish to swap out the motherboard and change the cpu to see if that will improve things. I also noticed that there has been a huge change to my speed of transferring files, and it would sometimes just completely shut my plex out or freeze. Not sure whats going on. Also the disk that say error are working fine and the ones that are saying healthy are having issues Disk 2 and 10 are definitely having issues and I am planning on changing them soon. I want to make sure before swapping disk I have to complete the parity check? and then switch the disk? So pretty much 3 questions

1. Parity is taking close to 90 days to finish

2. Nothing was changed from the last time just updated here and there via docker so why is the parity taking long

3. How to properly change drives and what methods should i take? Also recommendations if i were to change the motherboard,cpu and drives would it be a huge problem?

image.thumb.png.f6dc9cc5792ad4fa1548dbdb8c8b6718.pngI image.thumb.png.16aa016ff9ca6ce8c2a53edcefa8dead.png

From your sceenshot I would guess that you have a thermal problem. Also some of your disks are in error state (check the details, maybe accept them if the error source is harmless/fixed).

Parity Check is the worst operation UNRAID can do to your disks. It is almost the only situation in real life where all drives are working together permanently. If they are packed tightly together like in a hot swap bay they heat up their neighbors too. UNRAID is clever, if it sees this potential risk of overheating, it pauses Parity Check for a while in the hope that the drives cool down again.

Thats why it takes ages to finish.

See if you can lower room temperature, add fans to the drive or find any other means of cooling them down.

To see if my guess is correct you may test it before (AT YOUR OWN RISK! BE CAREFULL!!!) by raising the warning / overtemp temperatures in the drive setting. The UNRAID defaults are rather conservative, many drives can take higher temps (look into the data sheets). For a monitored test, raise the temps, start a parity check and watch it going.

You can see the current speed in the START tab of the gui (and the temps too). If they go up too high, STOP THE CHECK instantly. But the speed until then should be rather high and fairly constant. If this is true think about FANS or air conditions or something. If not, sorry, you have  different problem and should post the diagnostics here.

Sorry completely slipped my mind i thought i dragged the diagnostic to the post but i missed it here you go, and I have noticed that the tempertures are a little low i can clean it out and change the thermal but it has 5 fans and the room has a AC maybe i should add more fans? I have noticed another thing lately when dragging things it would just dip to such slow speeds, I was checking and confirming the storage space but I still have 30tb to burn even though i should only have maybe 15tb left to touch. But i do want to figure this out as I have 2 16tb I want to drop in there. Not sure if the 16tb will have to become paritys or not because they will be the biggest size. I will also still be able to swap the two parity drives to replace two 8tbs not a pro still a newb at these things and learning. Thanks again!

retroshare-plex-diagnostics-20220702-1421.zip

Thanks for this information @JorgeB sorry but I am super noob to this and the only one that does maintain it. Constant ATA Errors = ? and seems to be affecting Parity, Disks 4 and Disks 8 I am assuming this is power? or Sata Transfer Cables? Also Marvell is not a good controller for Sata expansion? I do have PCI slots available and Also if possible can get sata 6gb recommendations I am open too. What cables would i need to replace? All sata and power cables? My whole power supply? I just want to make sure I do everything right. I will want to try and switch these drives as soon as possible. I did sit down and studied about switching drives in unraid. I cannot switch the any drive to be higher than the parity. So I would need to replace the parity drives first to 16tb each and then with those two 10's switch the two 8tb or the other drives that are faulting which i need to figure out how to tell. hope that is right as well, Also hope everyone is having a Happy 4th!

On 7/2/2022 at 12:52 AM, MAM59 said:

some of your disks are in error state (check the details, maybe accept them if the error source is harmless/fixed).

disk6 has a small number of reallocated, should be fine, others are just a small number of CRC (connection) errors, also fine. You can click on the thumbs down icon for those disks on the Dashboard to Acknowledge and it will warn again if they increase.

23 minutes ago, Amagner said:

sata 6gb recommendations

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a good 4th, So I managed to save up money and I will be buying 2 12tb to replace the parities which will replace disk 2 and 10 that have been having issues but first I will replace the PSU and cables and then add fans then hard drives I will update in the next two weeks thanks for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Sorry for the long wait on this issue! so I managed to get everything during Amazon Prime day, got new Sata Cables, 3 new 16tb HDDs, and also a New Power supply with straight forward sata cables straight to the power supply no adapters. Cleaned cpu and reapplyed new thermal. Added a rtx 6600 graphic card that I need to setup somehow through VM ware i keep getting a error 127 when trying IDK. and then I also got the asmedia adapter replacing the marvell one. Last I added 3 new fans into the system for more air flow and cleared and cleaned every spot and nook and cranny. So i did all the changes and I am getting less reports on the unraid page and here is a updated diagnostic. I did do a parity test which I will do at 3am until 11am when no one is using the plex. But i think most things are running better if anyone can confirm let me know <3

retroshare-plex-diagnostics-20220722-2054.zip

Alright so far everything is way better now and the parity only took 2 days to be done which is amazing, now the GPU is my problem everytime i try to setup a VM so i can do the passthrough trick it just freezes and then i have to completely restart the server in order to try again its frustrating and i can't get it to work without freezing the server. I also cannot stop it or start it only force stop nothing else works pretty much just impossible.