Backup Suggestions?

So its been a dream of mine to get an LTO Tape Drive one day and run backups. In reality, my wife will never let me spend that kind of money for a drive. HDDs on the other hand are far cheaper for the same amount of storage (~30T).

So I've been upgrading my cute Original WD Red 3T drives to Seagate EXOS 3x14T and 3x8T drives. But newer larger drives don't exactly have the same level of reliability in my experience in Datacenters. So I'd like to make use of the extra drive bays I'm freeing up. I have 12 bays. I plan to use 6 for my array with dual parity. I'd like to use the other 4-6 bays for a weekly backup.

Evidently you cannot create 2 arrays in Unraid so my 2nd Array for weekly backup idea isn't going to work. What do you recommend here? Should I just create a "pool" for backups with no parity? should I risk BTRFS RAID6 pool as a backup solution, or just go the more expensive route to BTRFS RAID10 pool? Something else?

The server is on a 1500Watt UPS. Risk of unclean shutdown is low. writes would only be weekly and incremental. No need to completely rewrite the entire backup.

I divide my data in two group, one is frequently change and other is rather static.

Each assign 8 bay in total 16 bay in same enclosure, so 8 bay in normal array parity and 8 bay in raid0 pool. That's all live data.

The live raid0 have an offline copy in file pooling but seldom sync it ..... So two group data both have file pooling and raid0 copy.

An external enclosure have 12 bay to provide backup function, it can be a raid0 pool for 1:1 backup. Or you can insert / form different no. of disk for backup or restore.

The aim was I can copy / regen data in quick way by raid0 to raid0 most time. And I can easy free up 20 bays for temporary use.

Edited by Vr2Io
7 hours ago, Stan464 said:

I use Duplicacy with Storage Backend. as an example. Backblaze B2.

Wow, I've not looked at backblaze pricing, but $70/year for unlimited personal seems pretty amazing and $5/TB/Month for Backblaze B2 is pretty good too when looking from a business perspective! Thats definitely one option considering I'd have to buy multiple (5-6) drives at $250 each minimum to have a local backup and I'd most likely go with the personal backup option if that were allowed.

Thanks for the input!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

I divide my data in two group, one is frequently change and other is rather static.

Each assign 8 bay in total 16 bay in same enclosure, so 8 bay in normal array parity and 8 bay in raid0 pool. That's all live data.

The aim was I can copy / regen data in quick way by raid0 to raid0 most time. And I can easy free up 20 bays for temporary use.

Thats a good point! I never really considered RAID0 as a option, but if you think about it, I have an array with dual parity. The likelihood that I'll have an issue there AND with a Backup RAID0 Pool isn't high, and only 1 week worth of revert/recovery if the RAID0 fails isn't that big of a deal. This isn't mission critical business data. Its just my personal tinker toys, Plex server, dockers for wikis, other webservices, etc, and a couple VMs that are actually self configured/deployable via yaml scripts using yip to act as a kubernetes cluster for Linux package building.

My cache pool is a RAID0 and the mover runs daily with zero issues. I can see this being a valid option as well for personal use.

22 hours ago, Darksurf said:

Wow, I've not looked at backblaze pricing, but $70/year for unlimited personal seems pretty amazing and $5/TB/Month for Backblaze B2 is pretty good too when looking from a business perspective! Thats definitely one option considering I'd have to buy multiple (5-6) drives at $250 each minimum to have a local backup and I'd most likely go with the personal backup option if that were allowed.

Thanks for the input!

Backblaze does have a Personal one with an Docker Container to work around the "Restrictions" which does look pretty good. I used an alternative method which wasnt ideal and moved away from Backblaze.

But i may revisit due to the Docker Container now being avail.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, Stan464 said:

Backblaze does have a Personal one with an Docker Container to work around the "Restrictions" which does look pretty good. I used an alternative method which wasnt ideal and moved away from Backblaze.

But i may revisit due to the Docker Container now being avail.

Lemme know the name of that docker with a link. This could be my solution!