[SOLVED] Accidently Removed VM!

Go to solution Solved by hansolo77,

Hey guys!

Need some help.  I rebooted my server and noticed a VM wasn't starting.  According to the log it was unable to find a USB drive.  Makes sense, I edited the VM a week ago to ADD the USB stick to the VM, and now it's not there.  So... I went to edit the VM to remove that entry.  Still didn't fix it.  Then I "THOUGHT" I clicked on EDIT again, but instead clicked on REMOVE.  I was side tracked for a second and didn't realize what I did until it was too late.  Now that VM is gone.

Is there any way I can restore the VM or am I just SOL now?  -> I've not rebooted UNRAID yet....

Edited by hansolo77
  • Solution

I saved it!

So I did some GOOGLE'ing and reading.  Somebody mentioned in another thread that the libvert.img stores the xml for the VM.  Since I hadn't rebooted, the VM itself was still on the drive.  I just needed to rebuild the VM's XML.  So, I took the libvert.img to my other computer and tried to open it up with no success.  WinRAR and Windows both said the file was corrupted.  BUT, the other thread user said he used Notepad++.  So I figured I'd TRY it.  Turns out, Notepad++, while showing a lot of JUNK binary data, DID manage to open the file.  For me, (instead of line 1500 like the previous user) my domain entry started around 4500.  I copied from <domain> to </domain> and pasted it into a a new VM using the custom template.  It failed to start, something about missing a file or something.  I edited the VM and just clicked the UPDATE button at the bottom.  Maybe there was some missing pathway or something.  All I know is, after I did that, the VM loaded right up and all my stuff is still there!  So, thanks whoever it was that had a somewhat similar issue and gave me an idea of something to try.

Love UnRaid!

EDIT:

Here's the thread and post that was most helpful to me...

Edited by hansolo77
  • hansolo77 changed the title to [SOLVED] Accidently Removed VM!