Inconsistent Booting

Hello all! I set up a replacement server and so far it's going well. 

One thing I can't seem to figure out is that I am getting inconsistent behavior when booting. Sometimes it will boot, and sometimes it will just hang at a BIOS splash screen.

My new machine is running a Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B560M AORUS PRO MoBo. This is my second machine, and the first one (not the same MoBo) I have zero issues. I *THINK* i have all the BIOS settings set up properly, buy curious if anyone has seen similar behavior. 

Thanks!

Thanks. I will work on this - I did have a USB receive for my Mouse/Keyboard for initial BIOS config, I removed that and will test. There is nothing else plugged in to the USB slots except the USB stick. 

Update: It keeps doing it, but if I go into the BIOS and make no changes-and exit the BIOS it will boot from the USB. Weird

Edited by Nexus

Ok this has GOT to be incorrect. I opened a support ticket with GIGABYTE, and this was their response:

Unfortunately, the BIOS has limitations, and it does not have option to have such setup as your request.

When system reboots after power outage, It is suggested to press F12 on Aorus logo screen to bring up Boot Menu screen and select the USB drive to boot up system.

That seems outrageously wrong. I don't think I know of ANY MoBo that can't boot from a USB stick directly unattended. 

Edited by Nexus
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Nexus. 

I was having the same issue trying to boot from USB.  Every time I would bring the system down or reboot I would have to go into the bios in order to get it to boot again. Would make zero changes and exit bios, and then it would boot.  Finally was able to get things working correctly after turning off Fast Boot.  My Mobo is a MSI Pro Z690-a. I7-12700K.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:09 AM, Nexus said:

if I go into the BIOS and make no changes-and exit the BIOS it will boot from the USB

On 7/14/2022 at 11:13 AM, Nexus said:

changed FROM Fast Boot and it appears that I can boot now

I always turn-off fast-boot, but haven't link booting problem due to this setting.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Glad this thread was able to help you. I'd love if some of the big brains around here could explain WHY fast boot causes some MoBo's to be unable to boot from the USB.

For my understanding, if turn-on fast boot, then boot process won't wait all IO init complete ..... so that should explain why boot failure as USB haven't ready.

Edited by Vr2Io