CM Stacker Case, different model?

georgema

Hi, looking on the Coolermaster site I see there are different models of the CM Stacker case available. There are:-

CM Stacker (STC-T01), which looks like the original and

CM Stacker 810 (RC-810) which looks like an updated model.

There are also the 830 models but as these support fewer drives I'll discount these. The questions I have are do they both support the hardware required for an UnRaid configuration, e.g. dual power supply, etc and is the RC-810 model significantly better than the original STC-T01?

If they are both suitable for an UnRaid setup that would be great as I could then search for the best deal. I jiust don't want to buy a case and then find out that it's subtly different in some way and not suitable.

Thanks,

George

http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product_list&p_class=614

More importantly the 810 does not support micro ATX!  I ordered it for my UnRaid machine, had to take pictures of the missing stand-off nuts, and exchange it for the STC-101.

Coolermaster emailed me confirming the issue, that even though they said it supported mico-ATX that it did not.

and it does not support dual power supplies :)

Thanks for the replies...!

Its interesting that the information on the Cooler Master site says that the 810 'supports standard ATX or redundant power supplies'. In my mind the redundant part of that statement kind of implies dual PSU support, but obviously not. Also the web site still states that it supports Micro-ATX. Guess that we can't always believe what the sales blurb tells us  :D

On a slightly different tack I'm assuming that the dual PSU's are needed to support the large number of disks, 6 per PSU. Does anyone know if there is a single PSU (600W+) that supports 12 disks, either SATA or PATA, which would make the choice of case a bit more flexible? It would be a wee bit daft if coolermaster supplied a 12 disk case and then not be able to power them with only one PSU. I'll have a bit of a dig around myself and see if I can find anything.

Cheers,

• 3 months later...

More importantly the 810 does not support micro ATX!  I ordered it for my UnRaid machine, had to take pictures of the missing stand-off nuts, and exchange it for the STC-101.

Coolermaster emailed me confirming the issue, that even though they said it supported mico-ATX that it did not.

and it does not support dual power supplies :)

Mmmh, I have the 810, and whilst it doesn't support dual PSU, I was able to fit the microATX board, no problems. Yes there are two missing stand off nuts, but the others do fit and I felt that it was enough to fix the board to the case. I do not plan to put pressure on the board in the section with the missing nuts so I feel quite safe, please correct me if I am wrong...

I also ended up buying the 810 (no-one could supply me the older model any more) and I had no problem fitting the microATX m/board. Also I had no holes missing at all. I'd previously mounted an ATX board, all I had to do was shift the standoffs to the microATX positions and I was set to go.

Slightly annoying about the inability to use dual power supplies though...

• 4 months later...

I just managed to find an STC-T01 in stock, unfortunately in blue, but happy to be able to use the dual PSUs... I know need to buy the bits to go inside the case.

With the knowledge that we may soon be able to go up to 13 + Parity configuration could anyone tell me whether fitting "4 into 3" bay adaptors would work well in this case?  I currently have a problem with some of my Maxtor Drives running a little hot and had planned to use individual "Hot-Swap" type caddies similar to those on the pre-built unraid machines.

I know there are "5 into 3" bay adaptors available, but I figured 4 into 3 gives a little more room for air flow.

Even though I'm considering these bay adaptors, it is still most likely I'll go for individual bays....Could anyone (hopefully in the UK) recommend the best individual drive bays to use in the CM Stacker STC-T01 for keeping the drives cool (& hopefully monitored)?  I'd ideally like metal rather than plastic for heat dissipation. 

If I do go for these individual bays, is there room inside the case for a couple of internal HDDs?

Many thanks,

Mark.

[EDIT] All 12 of my current HDDs are IDE, I do have a couple of spare Sata's I'm not currently using.

I can't recommend a specific bay, however take a look at http://www.cremax.com/ on the US site which has all of the Icy Dock products listed. Also, http://www.scan.co.uk/ has several of the Icy Dock plus other brands listed under their hard drive section. Interestingly, the European site is only in German but the site in Taiwan also supports English.

Out of interest where are you sourcing your hardware from, from your post I assume you are from the UK?

George

I can't recommend a specific bay, however take a look at http://www.cremax.com/ on the US site which has all of the Icy Dock products listed. Also, http://www.scan.co.uk/ has several of the Icy Dock plus other brands listed under their hard drive section. Interestingly, the European site is only in German but the site in Taiwan also supports English.

Those bays look ideal!

Out of interest where are you sourcing your hardware from, from your post I assume you are from the UK?

I buy from a variety of places, mainly EBuyer & Scan, but also use others if they stock what I'm after..

The Cremax 4-in-3 and 3-in-2 cages are very very good.

On the website George gave me a link to I could onlt see "5 into 3" & "3 into 2".  I'm thinking those "3 into 2" bays would be ideal for me.  I'll have a good browse around UK suppliers to see if I can find a stockist.

Thanks,

Mark.