Questions on replacing a cache drive

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello

I currently have a 1 TB nvme drive as my cache, however I've bought 2 new drives (also 1 TB) to replace as a cache pool in a raid 1 and then use the old drive just for caching share data / new downloads.

My plex metadata folder is large with a ton of files, so I am trying to find an easy way to do this. I wanted to confirm if my strategy would work, and if there are any potential issues.

1) Add one of the new 1 TB drives to the existing cache pool (which I assume will start to mirror the existing one). 

2) Once replicated, remove the old cache drive, and replace it with the 2nd new 1 TB drive and let the mirror rebuild

3) Re-add the old cache drive in a new pool for downloads

So, a couple questions:

1) Am I correct in how the RAID 1 system will work? Do I need to do anything to make this happen?

2) Is there a way to know once the 2 drives are completely mirrored

3) Are there any issues with the above approach

• 4 weeks later...

What if you have 2 SSD drives as cached pool I want to do something similar but add NVME drive so can I remove one of the BTRFS SSD to simulate a failure then add the NVME as a drive to rebuild to then remove the other SSD after the NVME has finished its rebuild and add a further NVME to rebuild from the new NVME to second NVME having a pool of 2 x NVME Cache pools.