cache upgrade gone awry

Go to solution Solved by wgstarks,

Okay folks, I've messed something up I think.

I'm attempting to upgrade my cache drive from a 250GB SSD to a 1TB PCIe NVMe.

I followed this video I found, that seemed to be based on the UNRAID docs. I haven't been able to find the current actual documentation, but that this stage I'm afraid that may be irrelevant anyway.

I stopped Docker and VM services, set all shares to 'yes' for cache, and ran mover. Nothing much happened, but after a reboot, I was finally able to get it to move everything to the array. Then I shut down, installed the new NVMe drive, and powered back up. I then stopped the array, removed the old cache, and selected the new drive. So far so good.

Here's the issue...

When I start setting things back to "Prefer" or "Only" for cache, mover throws "no space left on device" errors for Disk1, which is the array drive that it's copying from.  This makes no sense, but it's stopping me from getting my appdata, domains, etc... back on the cache drive.

I can't do it manually, since Docker is turned off, so I don't have access to my file manager. I'm not much good with the CLI, before you suggest that option. :)

Any suggestions?

45 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

This is just a work around (doesn’t address the real issue) but you can install Dynamix File Manager plugin from CA

That sounds great, but I can't seem to find that plugin...  nothing like that shows up when I search 'Dynamix'.

Edited by Elmojo
5 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

That’s an earlier version than 6.10.

Is it? Ok, I'll update and try again. I've been holding off because I heard there were some issues in 6.10.x, and things had been stable here.

I didn't want to introduce new problems... lol

6 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Rsync might be a better option. There’s a chance the permissions might not be preserved if you just move the files.

Now you tell me! lol

I've updated to 6.10.3, installed the File Manager, and am currently moving the appdata folder to the cache. We'll see how to works...

Worst case, I have a full back from a few days ago on the array...

Well, I had to do some shenanigans to get everything moved, but I think it's all there and appears to be working. 

That Dynamix File Manager is great! That feature alone is worth the update to 6.10.3, assuming that nothing else is broken behind the scenes. :)

Thanks for your quick support. Let's call this one solved for now. 👊