/var/log is getting full (currently 100 % used) and internal error: Did not find USB device 174c:55aa

Hi, 

Been delving into unRAID for a bit now and enjoying the experience.. however, I have a couple of issues:

1. The Fix Common Problems Plugin comes up with the following error message

/var/log is getting full (currently 100 % used)

2. Unable to access an external Sandisk 480GB SSD

I was using in a Windows 10 Virtual Machine I set up. It was used as my 'data' drive in the VM. I believe the drive has become corrupted as the VM loads ONLY when the SSD drive is plugged in (Windows Disk Manager shows it empty but not unallocated). If the SSD is unplugged, the following error appears if I try to run the VM. 

Execution Error
internal error: Did not find USB device 174c:55aa

The drive was fine 3 days ago and even following a power cut. How can I retain the VM without the SSD plugged in?

The server is mainly to store all my movies and music, provide a Steam Cache and run one Gaming PC VM.

My Specs of my unRAID server:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT  @ 3.9Ghz
Asus ROG Strix X-570-F Gaming
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
GTX 1050 TI Gaming X 4G (used as a passthrough for VM)
ASUS BC-12D2HT DVD Drive
3 x Western Digital 6TB WD Red Pro HDD (1 Parity, 2 Array)
2 x Western Digital 4TB WD Red Pro HDD (Array)
Western Digital 2TB WD Pro HDD (Array)
Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive (used for AppData/System Cache)
Samsung 1TB QVO 860 SSD (Used in "RAID 1" SSD Gaming Cache)
Samsung 500GB EV0 840 SSD (Used in "RAID 1" SSD Gaming Cache)
Sabrent PCIe 3.0 1TB NVMe drive (used for Domain VM Cache)
Western Digital 12TB WD Red Pro HDD (backup of movies) - Unassigned Device
Asus 10G Network Card
Zalman ZM750-HP 750W PSU

I did have a look in the forums, but as a newbie...ish, I could not quite get my head round it for either issue.

I have attached my logs to see if anyone can help determine the fix.

Cheers advance

humphrey-corner-diagnostics-20220717-0957.zip

Edited by JasonH76
  • JasonH76 changed the title to /var/log is getting full (currently 100 % used) and internal error: Did not find USB device 174c:55aa
9 minutes ago, JasonH76 said:

Thanks, that solves one issue! Simple when you know how!

G---------e  should that be on one of the cache drives as set to prefer. and is using Disk5 System looks to be on a cache &  disk5 also.

"Share cache full" means the share to where you are transferring his hitting the minimum free space setting, for that share, not cache, so the transfer would bypass your cache device and go directly to the array.

Jun 27 07:00:02 HUMPHREY-CORNER shfs: share cache full
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1161696 TIMES] ###

58 minutes ago, SimonF said:

G---------e  should that be on one of the cache drives as set to prefer. and is using Disk5 System looks to be on a cache &  disk5 also.

"Share cache full" means the share to where you are transferring his hitting the minimum free space setting, for that share, not cache, so the transfer would bypass your cache device and go directly to the array.

Jun 27 07:00:02 HUMPHREY-CORNER shfs: share cache full
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1161696 TIMES] ###

OK...  excuse my ignorance, but can you elaborate on this.

Games Cache is set to Prefer on 'Use Cache Pool' and I have changed the Minimum Space from 100G to 50G which has got things moving. However, I am unsure what to 'delete' to reduce the var/log file size.

You mention Disk 5 and Cache? Do I need to change 'Use Cache Pool' to Yes instead of Prefer? I can see a Game_Cache folder on both Disk 5 and the Cache_ssd/cache_ssd 2

Screenshot-unRAID.png

Screenshot 2 - unRAID.png

Edited by JasonH76
28 minutes ago, JasonH76 said:

Games Cache is set to Prefer on 'Use Cache Pool' and I have changed the Minimum Space from 100G to 50G which has got things moving. However, I am unsure what to 'delete' to reduce the var/log file size.

You mention Disk 5 and Cache? Do I need to change 'Use Cache Pool' to Yes instead of Prefer? I can see a Game_Cache folder on both Disk 5 and the Cache_ssd/cache_ssd 2

It depends what you want for the final destination?  Using Yes means you want the files to eventually end up on the array.   using Prefer means you want them to end up on the cache.   You can click on the text in the GUI for this setting to get more detail.