Using A Passthru GPU But Still Would Like To Access Via VNC From Unraid - How ?

Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

Hi all,

I have a working PC with a nvidia card - works fine.

RDP works fine too but Windows 11 been Windows 11 some features get locked out (such a changes to the PIN services).

I've worked around using Teamviewer but it can be a bit iffy some times.

This came about as I am building a gaming vPC (no screen or KB attached to the server) and needed to change things so it would autolog on...

Does any one have a suggestion on how to keep the pass through GPU in place but still enable the VNC menu option in Unraid once a VNC server is installed on the VM ?

I have a feeling this is a no but thought if would be worth asking.

Thanks

T

Edited by ccsnet
  • Solution

It should be possible if you add an emulated gpu as primary in the xml.

vmvga should be preferred as model for compatibility (it's like 'vmware compatible').

This will result in something like this:

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='vmvga' vram='9216' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>

vram can be tweaked if necessary.

address 00:02.0 should be used for the emulated primary gpu.

Note that this will set the primary gpu to the emulated one, so the os will use it by default, defeating the purpose of the discrete gpu passthrough..but this depends on the user case.

I would try to avoid this and solve the issues with a vnc server/teamviewer or whatever you want installed inside the vm.

I've used ghost82s method before and it does work. You can also set most newer versions of Windows 10 to mirror between the basic display adapter and the real video card. The nice part of this setup is you can get video out from the VM even if it doesn't boot successfully, unlike with vnc or RDP running in the guest.

However, some 3D software does play nice in this configuration because it gets confused by the primary adapter not supporting features it needs.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, scorcho99 said:

I've used ghost82s method before and it does work. You can also set most newer versions of Windows 10 to mirror between the basic display adapter and the real video card. The nice part of this setup is you can get video out from the VM even if it doesn't boot successfully, unlike with vnc or RDP running in the guest.

However, some 3D software does play nice in this configuration because it gets confused by the primary adapter not supporting features it needs.

Good call on the mirroring...

T