2 drives red

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

15 hours ago, trurl said:

boot up, assign the new disks to the same slots as the drives being replaced, start array to

Rebuild completed.

I quickly looked at disk 14 which is the one that had the lost+found folder and looking at some files I know I saved recently, the folders names are different. I put 3 folders with files in each and the I renamed the folder with the City\State, but I see them now with the original folder name. I recall seeing them correctly when the drive was emulated.

What would I do next to get the original drive mounted so I can compare the contents?

I've attached the latest diagnostics after the rebuild.

mediaserver-diagnostics-20220721-1411.zip

Edited by Adrian
5 minutes ago, Adrian said:

What would I do next to get the original drive mounted so I can compare the contents?

On 7/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, Adrian said:

all my bays except 1 (where Disk 15 is) are full

You seem to be saying you have an empty bay, but it has a disk in it?

On 7/19/2022 at 6:05 PM, Adrian said:

Disk 15 isn't used. I do have a physical disk, but just never added to the array. I think I precleared it and then left it there/forgot about it

Reviewed the thread.

Since that disk isn't assigned, you can remove it and use that bay to try to mount one of the original disks using Unassigned Devices.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Reviewed the thread.

Since that disk isn't assigned, you can remove it and use that bay to try to mount one of the original disks using Unassigned Devices.

Well this is odd, the original drive looks same. I recall the repair saying something about logs being discarded. May the folder renames were in the logs that were discarded?

Any recommended tools\scripts to run to compare the drives?

On 7/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, Adrian said:

all my bays except 1 (where Disk 15 is) are full.

A better way to say this is you have a bay with an Unassigned disk. An Unassigned disk can't be disk 15. In some contexts it might be useful to refer to it as future disk15, but not really relevant here. You do have some former array disks now which we will discuss that way as former disks 1, 14

Just now, trurl said:

Which former array disk is this? 

Former disk 14.

Disk 15 was always unassigned, it's where I would preclear from. At some point I want to rearrange the disks so I don't have a disk id being skipped, adds to the confusion.

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Repair puts things in lost+found when it can't figure them out. Usually it makes up a name and doesn't know what folder it belongs to. 

Yea that part I understood.

It's just 2-3 other folders in their normal location that were not named correctly. The folders had some videos and were named with the event (concert) name, but I renamed them to include the date and city/state as the concerts are part of a tour. It's the date and city/state of the folder name that was missing.

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you have to repair that unassigned disk (former disk 14) to get it to mount? 

The old repairs that I ran were the ones previously instructed to run. I was told that was only on the emulated disks.

Recently I just put the drive in the available slot and mounted it as an unassigned drive. I used the Web UI to browse the contents.

2 minutes ago, Adrian said:

repairs that I ran were the ones previously instructed to run. I was told that was only on the emulated disks.

So repairs have nothing to do with the contents of former disk14. I assume it doesn't have lost+found on it, unless you had repaired it sometime in the past.

If there isn't much in lost+found and you have been able to figure out what it is everything is probably OK.

2 hours ago, Adrian said:

May the folder renames were in the logs that were discarded?

22 minutes ago, Adrian said:

renamed them to include the date and city/state as the concerts are part of a tour. It's the date and city/state of the folder name that was missing

The logs might have contained incomplete transactions, but they couldn't be used without mounting the disk, and the disk couldn't be mounted. Sometimes you will see these logs mentioned in syslog when a disk is being mounted.

You can try to do the same with former disk1.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

So repairs have nothing to do with the contents of former disk14. I assume it doesn't have lost+found on it, unless you had repaired it sometime in the past.

If there isn't much in lost+found and you have been able to figure out what it is everything is probably OK.

The logs might have contained incomplete transactions, but they couldn't be used without mounting the disk, and the disk couldn't be mounted. Sometimes you will see these logs mentioned in syslog when a disk is being mounted.

You can try to do the same with former disk1.

Disregard everything I said about the folders and names being difference. I was looking in the wrong place, my fault. It's all good.

Thank you trurl and everyone else for your help and guidance, I really appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Adrian said:

rearrange the disks

Parity1 and Parity2 are different, if they were the same they couldn't recover 2 disks.

Parity1 remains valid if you reorder disks as long as you don't add or remove disks.

Parity2 is only valid if no assignments are changed.

To avoid rebuilding both parity, you can New Config without parity2, assign all data disks however you want as long as you don't add or remove disks, and check the parity valid box when you start the array.

Then you can stop, add parity2, start the array to build parity2.