I can`t find my NIC - 82576EB

Hi everyone!

I bought a new pcie ethernet card and it arrived today. But, I'm having a little problem.

My motherboard is an Aorus Elite b550m, and it has 3 pcie ports (1. pcie x16, 2. pcie x1, 3. pcie x4), I tried using each one, but unsucessfully. I don't see anything in Tools > System Devices and Settings > Network Settings.

Please, someone can enlighten me?

The attatched zip file is the server diagnostic and the .tar.gz file is the ethernet card drivers (I didn't get how to install a new driver inside unraid yet and I don't even know if is possible, but looks like that unraid has native compatibility with intel 82576EB chip).

tobias-gabriel-diagnostics-20220722-0520.zip igb-5.10.2.tar.gz

the card you have ordered is really old and outdated already. It still uses PCIe2.0 whereas modern Hardware is approaching 5.0 alreeady.

It SHOULD work, but maybe your board has difficulties to step down the speed to an appropriate level.

You did not tell (and your link leads to nowhere) how many lanes this card need. 1,4 or even 8 ?

The log shows that you have put your (unknown) video card into the 4x slot, it is limited to slow speed only. Move it to the 16x where it belongs.

Try your lan card (which is not recognized at all by the kernel, not even on PCIe level!) into the 4x slot, go to the bios and limit (and fix) the speed of this slot to 2.0 (turning off autodetection).

Retry and pray.

If it still does not show up, the card is most likely broken.

(buying used often means buying twice)

3 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

the card you have ordered is really old and outdated already. It still uses PCIe2.0 whereas modern Hardware is approaching 5.0 alreeady.

It SHOULD work, but maybe your board has difficulties to step down the speed to an appropriate level.

You did not tell (and your link leads to nowhere) how many lanes this card need. 1,4 or even 8 ?

The log shows that you have put your (unknown) video card into the 4x slot, it is limited to slow speed only. Move it to the 16x where it belongs.

Try your lan card (which is not recognized at all by the kernel, not even on PCIe level!) into the 4x slot, go to the bios and limit (and fix) the speed of this slot to 2.0 (turning off autodetection).

Retry and pray.

If it still does not show up, the card is most likely broken.

(buying used often means buying twice)

Thanks for replying!

There is 4 lanes like the attached image, try the next link to see info about the product. I was looking for the manufacturer info and found it was discontinued in 2008.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMrxRai

I will try what you said later and give the feedback, hope it works.

But, just in case, do you have any suggestions on a more modern one?

About the video card, it's a GTX 1060, I just changed places to try to use the eth card in another pcie lol

2 hours ago, guizao.dev said:

There is 4 lanes like the attached image

the image shows only ONE (PCIe) lane (but FOUR Ethernet ports), so it should work in ANY slot.

I'm not sure if the current kernel still ships with a drive for such an old an special card... But at least, it SHOULD show up in the devices list at boot time.

Take a closer look, this is a quite long and heavy card but only in a 1x Slot. There are often mechanical problems with this combinations. So watch carefully if the card is fully plugged in and does fit into the slot straightly and completely.