Replace noisy fans 24 Bay Chassis Logic Case

Maticks

Hi Community,

I moved from a project lots of disks in a case to a proper chassis Logic Case SC-4024.

The reason i went with the case is so i could change out the fans since they are 4pin 120MM fans.

https://www.logic-case.com/products/rackmount-chassis/4u/4u-server-case-w-24x-35-hot-swappable-satasas-drive-bays-6gbs-minisas-sc-4024/

Not sure if anyone has this case or seen any articles on changing the fans i have done some searched and haven't turned up much.

The fans drop onto a board that has plugs off it for PWM i have plugged those into my motherboard PWM headers directly.

When i set any of the fans below 2000RPM it pretty much stops the fan. They are pretty loud i am not sure if the board itself is stopping the fan or not.

I also tried plugging them into a fan controller but it was 3 min and it started randomly surging the fans without my input i could hear a clicking like there is some kind of brain on this PCB.

I am guessing if i can find some fans that are good for high static pressure that can spin at over 2000RPM and not sound like the air is being torn apart that would be nice.

Anyone have any suggestions, i am not seeing overheating issues at all but i have it in a space that is 20C.

46 minutes ago, Maticks said:

I also tried plugging them into a fan controller but it was 3 min and it started randomly surging the fans without my input i could hear a clicking like there is some kind of brain on this PCB.

Looklike the controller not in PWM mode, it in overload or over heat.

I saw some review abot be quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4 perform excellent, it even better then Noctua industrial fan. A speed switch at the fan back.

Edited by Vr2Io

I have the earlier version of that chassis - it's mechanically identical to your one. just the drive trays and backplanes are different. As nice as the hot-swap fan functionality is, you have to ask yourself if you are realistically ever going to use it?

I pulled out the hot-swap fan trays, plastic rails and power board, mounted three Coolink SWiF2 120mm fans direct to the fan wall with rubber mounts (the mounting holes are already there) and plugged them direct onto my motherboard. (Supermicro board has LOTS of fan headers)

Been running that system for over 2 years with no noise or temperature issues, just had to edit the IPMI settings to accept a lower minimum RPM without alarming. I would have preferred to use Noctua fans, but at the time there were none available and I don't see any point replacing perfectly good working fans now.