Networking issue - unraid and docker don't have internet but VM does, changing from static ip to DHCP results in 169.XXX.XXX.XXX address

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I've been looking for an answer to this for a while and really dug into it this weekend. Basically a while ago one of my docker containers stopped working (MeTube, it downloads youtube videos). I also noticed that I couldn't access the "Apps" store (Download of appfeed failed) and couldn't check for updates for unraid. But my windows VM in unraid could access the internet just fine.

After reading a few threads (like this one) I tried to change my static ip assignment to DHCP in unraid. My router is also set up to reserve that same ip for my server, so I thought everything would work. When I changed it to DHCP, it got a 169.XXX.XXX.XXX ip address (it should be 192.168.0.XXX) and couldn't access the server. I tried everything I could think of, and even went so far as to reinstalling unraid with the newest stable version (6.10.3), still had the same issue. 

Eventually I changed the network.cfg back to DHCP off/static ip on, and I was able to get back to the GUI, but I still have the same issue (that unraid/docker can't access the internet). I thought this might be an issue with wireguard, but I don't have anything set up with wireguard right now. 

The thing I still don't get is why the VM in unraid is able to access the internet, but unraid and docker apps can't. Attached are diagnostics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

unraid-diagnostics-20220723-2310.zip

If it helps, here are the specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Mortar

GPU: Nvidia 1660 Super

Ram: 32 GB 

Drives: In main array: 68 TB usable made up of 6 (10 TB) + 2 (4 TB) + 2 (10 TB for parity), 1.25 TB Cache: 2 (1 TB SSD) + 2 (250GB SSD), dedicated 1 TB NVME for VM

And I mostly use it for backups, frigate (home cameras), jellyfin (media server), and as a VM

huh, the address and mac address for the server don't show up in arp -n. Should I add it with the arp command? I've never used arp before.
The windows VM is showing up on this list. 

Also the broadcast for br0 is showing up as 0.0.0.0 - not sure if that is also an issue

arp -n.PNG

21 minutes ago, thompn4 said:

huh, the address and mac address for the server don't show up in arp -n. Should I add it with the arp command? I've never used arp before.
The windows VM is showing up on this list. 

Also the broadcast for br0 is showing up as 0.0.0.0 - not sure if that is also an issue

arp -n.PNG

Server wont show. Looks like the router cant see the server or is blockimg. can you look at the mac table or arp on your router.

Alright, still struggling but hopefully making some progress? On the ARP list on my router, two entries are coming up for my server (192.168.0.200) - both of them go away when I turn the server off. The 2c.XX one is the mac address of the motherboard - I don't know what the 64.XX one is. But maybe that is the issue? I do have 192.168.0.200 reserved for the 2c.XX mac address in the dhcp menu on my router. 

image.png.bcee6c8547c4e654827d233bb21b67f1.png

• Solution
8 minutes ago, thompn4 said:

Alright, still struggling but hopefully making some progress? On the ARP list on my router, two entries are coming up for my server (192.168.0.200) - both of them go away when I turn the server off. The 2c.XX one is the mac address of the motherboard - I don't know what the 64.XX one is. But maybe that is the issue? I do have 192.168.0.200 reserved for the 2c.XX mac address in the dhcp menu on my router. 

image.png.bcee6c8547c4e654827d233bb21b67f1.png

64:d1:54 is a Mikrotik mac address is that the router you are using?

maybe try removing the reservation in DHCP. 

1 hour ago, SimonF said:

64:d1:54 is a Mikrotik mac address is that the router you are using?

maybe try removing the reservation in DHCP. 

I'm not using a mikrotik router, it's a tp-link. But removing the DHPC reservation fixed the issue - no idea why though. Thanks so much!!

• Like 1