Unraid won't boot correctely

Go to solution Solved by S80_UK,

After testing Unraid for a while (still in trial), I restarted my server today normally and got the error messages "No such file or directory" on the monitor connected to the server.

1993216593_Unraidbooterrors.thumb.jpg.1a131721e57102b4304bea66ab804c9c.jpg

I can't access the WebUI, so I can't get any diagnostics. In safe mode, I can only see that about half of my plugins failed, but I can't understand why because they were running just fine.

My server is a Dell Precision T3500 with only 2 GB of RAM (I know that's not enough, but it worked).

And my flash is 1 GB. I was planning to replace my flash drive with a 16 GB drive once I got a licence.

4 minutes ago, S80_UK said:

My guess is that 2GB is the issue.  It's very little even without plugins.  Things might work, but it would not take much to cause some processes to be killed due to a lack of available memory.  

But why did it work initially?

I was also able to reboot cleanly without any problems, before this happenend.

I mean it worked for like 20 days or so...

Edited by MagicLike
23 minutes ago, MagicLike said:

But why did it work initially?

I was also able to reboot cleanly without any problems, before this happenend.

I mean it worked for like 20 days or so...

Can't say for sure why it worked and does not now. Might be more plugins, maybe it was working with barely any spare room and some little config change pushed it over the limit ?

In any case, the specs are higher, from the product page :

The minimum hardware requirements to install Unraid OS 6 for data storage usage are:

A 64-bit capable processor, 1.0 GHz or better

1. At least 4GB of RAM
  2. Linux hardware driver support for storage, Ethernet, and USB controllers
  3. Two hard disk drives to ensure data protection with a parity disk

Additional requirements apply when adding applications or virtual machines.

3 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

Can't say for sure why it worked and does not now. Might be more plugins, maybe it was working with barely any spare room and some little config change pushed it over the limit ?

In any case, the specs are higher, from the product page :

It might actually be the RAM, 'cause Fix Common Problems told me multiple times, that the rootfs is getting full...

Just now, Squid said:
cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog

and then upload the syslog from the flash

Ideally, you would

diagnostics

and then upload the zip file that'll get stored within /logs on the flash drive

I just tried to connect via ssh, but the connection gets refused.

I'll try manually via keyboard...

• Solution

You're trying to run a load of plugins - they are reported as corrupt .tar files - perhaps due to lack of RAM when trying to unpack them.  You are running and trying to install just about every option from the Nerdpack - that will be taking a chunk of space.  They idea of Nerdpack is to only enable the features actually required.  After that is installed just about everything else has problems.  If you look through the text file yourself you can see this.  I still think this is primarily a lack of RAM.  Certainly I would not expect to run any plugins reliably when you have only half the recommended minimum RAM available.  First thing I would try is to borrow a bit more RAM from somewhere just to see if that helps - and uninstall Nerdpack, or at least limit the modules that you are enabling.  

Edited by S80_UK
  • Thanks 1
Just now, S80_UK said:

You're trying to run a load of plugins - they are reported as corrupt .tar files - perhaps due to lack of RAM when truing to unpack them.  You are running and trying to install just about every option from the Nerdpack - that will be taking a chunk of space.  They idea of Nerdpack is to only enable the features actually required.  After that is installed just about everything else has problems.  If you look through the text file yourself you can see this, so I still think this is primarily a lack of RAM.  Certainly I would not expect to run any plugins reliably when you have only half the recommended minimum RAM available.  First thing I would try is to borrow a bit more RAM from somewhere just to see if that helps.  

I am already looking for some. I know someone who might have lots of DDR3 ECC RAM...

Thank you for the quick replies.

I will report here what happens after I got new RAM.

17 minutes ago, MagicLike said:

I am already looking for some. I know someone who might have lots of DDR3 ECC RAM...

Thank you for the quick replies.

I will report here what happens after I got new RAM.

I edited my post after your reply - please also see the bit at the end about disabling unneeded Nerdpack modules.

3 minutes ago, S80_UK said:

I edited my post after your reply - please also see the bit at the end about disabling unneeded Nerdpack modules.

Just "uninstalled" nerdpack (Just deleted the plugin files manually on the flash drive)...

I will try to boot now, so I can at least use my SMB shares.

55 minutes ago, S80_UK said:

OK - that's good news.  Thanks for the feedback.  But I would still recommend an increase as and when you're able to.  Linux uses any unused RAM for caching disk accesses, so you'll most likely find things will run more smoothly with 4GB or 8GB.

Defenetely!

I read, that my Server can take 24 GB of RAM and I will put as much as I can find in it...