Amd reset bug in macOS VM

I have a general question: what’s the best amd gpu to use in unraid for a macOS vm? 

because of the reset bug my whole unraid crashes sometimes hard and only hard reset is needed to get unraid back to work. I tried the plugin but it doesn’t help. 

so can somebody tell me which GPU (model, manufacturer, Revsion) will work best for this scenario? With or without the vendor reset plugin. 

thanks 

Edited by Benedict Eich

The best? 6900xt, better if it's the reference amd model (from big sur 11.4), and avoid the xtxh models, go for xtx.

If it costs too much the 6600xt is ok (from monterey 12.1), also the 6600 non xt version.

Any other prior model should have some issue with the reset bug, maybe fixable, but if you don't want any reset bug go for one of the 6000 series (6900xt or 6600xt or 6600 or 6800xt, NOT the 6700xt).

Edited by ghost82

Thx for the answer. Do you know anything about 5000 series? I know they come with the bug. But 6600 only has 8 lanes which sucks on pcie 3.0 and 6800 is too overkill.

i was thinking about 5600XT and would like to know if the bug can be handled with the plugin. As long as unraid does not crash it is fine for me.

42 minutes ago, Benedict Eich said:

i was thinking about 5600XT and would like to know if the bug can be handled with the plugin

Not sure, the 5000 series suffers the reset bug as you know, if you look at the gnif vendor reset github repository (issues) you will find different cases, some successful, some other not, this may depend not only on the gpu but also on the mb bios and how it handles the gpu, so it's quite difficult to say if it will work for sure or not.

I know the difference in price is quite a lot for a 5600xt and a 6900xt, but I would think twice before buying a 5000 series card..I still would prefer the 6600xt even if I agree with you that it sucks that it has 8 lanes...however this depends on the user case: unless you use the gpu also in windows for gaming, and gaming some quite powerful games, the 6600xt will perform quite well.

21 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Not sure, the 5000 series suffers the reset bug as you know, if you look at the gnif vendor reset github repository (issues) you will find different cases, some successful, some other not, this may depend not only on the gpu but also on the mb bios and how it handles the gpu, so it's quite difficult to say if it will work for sure or not.

I know the difference in price is quite a lot for a 5600xt and a 6900xt, but I would think twice before buying a 5000 series card..I still would prefer the 6600xt even if I agree with you that it sucks that it has 8 lanes...however this depends on the user case: unless you use the gpu also in windows for gaming, and gaming some quite powerful games, the 6600xt will perform quite well.

Gaming only in a „two gamers one cpu“ set with a second windows VM when a friend comes over. 
not for daily gaming