[Resolved]Plex: Direct play across VLANs without transcoding. What am I missing?

Go to solution Solved by Boyturtle,

I can't get Direct Play to work across VLANs, on the server dashboard I have a little exclamation mark and the play is listed as indirect. The Plex server resides on the 192.168.52.0/24 subnet and the the clients that I would like to access the service are on 10.16.50.0/24 VLAN, both are on the same LAN. I have port 32400 open on my pfSense router and am able to transcode the films to the clients, but not Direct Play. If I put the same client on the same subnet as the the server, it Direct Plays. I have this problem if I'm playing 720, 1080 or 4k content.

In Settings>Network>LAN Networks I have added 192.168.52.0/24,10.16.50.0/24. I have no subtitles set that I can see in Settings>Languages (I have enabled and disabled Automatically select audio and subtitle tracks, to no avail and have Subtitle mode set to Manually selected).

For good measure, I have also added the 2 subnets to the List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth area too, but this did not make any difference so have now removed it.

Have I overlooked a setting somewhere?

Edited by Boyturtle
  • Boyturtle changed the title to [Resolved]Plex: Direct play across VLANs without transcoding. What am I missing?