SMB bypass cache

This script allow to bypass UNRAID caching for a specified SMB Share.
The Share must be already activated in the UNRAID GUI (Export set to 'Yes').
The name of the share must be filled in the SHARE_NAME parameter before running the script.

SMB_PREVENT_CLIENTS_SPINUP add optional settings to the share in order to prevent creation of Thumbs.db and .DS_Store files by clients

Notes:

Changes made by this script aren't persistent and won't survive after a reboot, if you decide to stop using this script without reboot you can revert the cache bypass by filling SHARE_NAME with a value not corresponding to any share in use, and run the script manually, this will revert all the changes made by this script.

The script will check validity and no modifications will be permanent after a reboot (you must set schedule as specified to allow script running after each reboot).

If you change the SMB Security Settings oy the share (eg: you set export to "No") then you must to run the script again to reflect the settings in the script (press "Run Script" button in CA User Scripts).

Installation:

1. Install the "User Scripts" plugin from "Apps"
  2. Add a new script and paste the following script
  3. Set the schedule to "At First Array Start"

Enjoy 😃 :

#!/bin/bash
#
#This script allow to access a SMB share directly without using the cache
#
# By Quinto - 27 july 2022
# v.0.9.5

# settings
{

SHARE_NAME="share_name_without_slashes"
      #Options
      SMB_PREVENT_CLIENTS_SPINUP=true #Prevent creation of Thumbs.db and .DS_Store files by clients,set to true or false
      VERBOSE=0 #0=Error; 1=Info; 2=Debug

}
##### No modification below this line #####

SMB_MOUNT=$(cat /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf | awk '/\['${SHARE_NAME}'\]/{flag=1;next}/\[*\]/{flag=0}flag' | sed 's/\/mnt\/user/\/mnt\/user0/g')

if [[ ! $SMB_MOUNT ]]
    then
        echo -e "Auto-configured share ${SHARE_NAME} not found !\nCheck this script configuration then run it again..."
        if test -f /etc/samba/smb-override.conf
            then
                echo -e "Warning : Script probably running with bad configuration !\nShare ${SHARE_NAME} was probably renamed or deleted, check this script configuration then run it again..."
                [[ $VERBOSE -ge 1 ]] && echo "Restoring normal state: Deleting unvalid configuration"
                rm /etc/samba/smb-override.conf
                sed -i '/include = \/etc\/samba\/smb-override.conf/d' /etc/samba/smb.conf
                sed -i '/#smb-override script launched, deleted after a reboot/d' /etc/samba/smb.conf
                [[ $VERBOSE -ge 1 ]] && echo "Updating SMB configuration"            
                smbcontrol all reload-config
            fi 
    else
        [[ $VERBOSE -ge 1 ]] && echo "Analysing /etc/samba/smb.conf..."
        TOTAL_CONFIG="$SMB_MOUNT"  
        if grep -q "include = /etc/samba/smb-override.conf" /etc/samba/smb.conf; then echo -e "Auto-configured share ${SHARE_NAME} exist...\nValues are updated"; fi;
        [[ $VERBOSE -ge 1 ]] && echo "Installation of smb-override in /etc/samba/smb.conf..."
        echo -e "\n        #smb-override script launched, deleted after a reboot\n        include = /etc/samba/smb-override.conf" >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
        if [[ $SMB_PREVENT_CLIENTS_SPINUP ]]
            then
                [[ $VERBOSE -ge 1 ]] && echo "Option to prevent unwanted spinning by Windows & Mac OS clients enabled" 
                SMB_OPTIONS="        veto files = /.smbdelete*/.DS_Store/Thumbs.db/\n        delete veto files = yes\n"
            else
                SMB_OPTIONS=""
        fi
        [[ $VERBOSE -ge 1 ]] && echo -e "UNRAID caching feature is now bypassed when using SMB share : ${SHARE_NAME}"
        [[ $VERBOSE -ge 2 ]] && echo -e "nNew configuration is:\n${SMB_MOUNT}\n${SMB_OPTIONS}"
        echo -e "#smb-override script launched, deleted after a reboot\n\n[${SHARE_NAME}]\n${SMB_MOUNT}\n${SMB_OPTIONS}" > /etc/samba/smb-override.conf
        [[ $VERBOSE -ge 1 ]] && echo "Updating SMB configuration"
        smbcontrol all reload-config
        echo "Done, script was correctly executed !"
    fi
echo ""

exit 0

Edited by doobyns
updated the script
1 hour ago, kizer said:

What exactly does this do? Does it simply put files into the Array vs the Cache? If so isn't there already a simple setting in shares to avoid that.

Just curious. ;)

Does this basically simply /mnt/cache0/ShareName ?

yes it's exactly that, where is the setting in shares to avoid using the cache for smb ?

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

image.png.903adbcf91fd951014a1e40e6404281e.png

i need to have cache pool on this share for others operations, but when i copy a large amount of files with SMB i need to avoid filling the cache, and i don't use the cache normally, i use it only for the plex smart caching script here : https://forums.unraid.net/topic/92126-smart-caching-script/

I use my cache as "read only", some data only copied on the cache but all my files stay safe on the array, it would be simpler to have a button in the SMB SECURITY SETTINGS of the share to select if i want use the cache or bypass it, but it's not implemented yet...

Edited by doobyns

Most people Map

\\192.168.X.X\ShareName - which obviously copies to your share in windows. 

however you can map

\\192.168.X.X\user0\ShareName - Which Bypasses the Cache drive and writes directly to the array. 

So in a sense you can pick and choose which files goto the Cache and which does not directly just by pointing them to either mapping of user or user0

15 minutes ago, kizer said:

\\192.168.X.X\user0\ShareName - Which Bypasses the Cache drive and writes directly to the array. 

This sounds interesting, never come across it being documented.... Is there something special to do for this to work? I just get "not found" from Windows. 

25 minutes ago, kizer said:

Most people Map

\\192.168.X.X\ShareName - which obviously copies to your share in windows. 

however you can map

How do you do to change the mapping in the unraid GUI?

34 minutes ago, kizer said:

\\192.168.X.X\user0\ShareName

Not sure what you had in mind there. user0 isn't accessible over the network. You can access shares, or you can access disks if you enable disk sharing (not recommended). You can even create a rootshare with Unassigned Devices so all shares appear under rootshare on the network. rootshare effectively give you access to /mnt/user, but no way to get /mnt/user0.

3 hours ago, doobyns said:

I use my cache as "read only", some data only copied on the cache but all my files stay safe on the array

Still don't understand what this is trying to accomplish though.

Files on cache and files on the array are both part of user shares. The idea that all files are on the array and also some files are on cache. Doesn't make any sense.

If you make a share cache:no, no new files will be written to cache, but all files on cache and array are included in the user share.

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not sure what you had in mind there. user0 isn't accessible over the network. You can access shares, or you can access disks if you enable disk sharing (not recommended). You can even create a rootshare with Unassigned Devices so all shares appear under rootshare on the network. rootshare effectively give you access to /mnt/user, but no way to get /mnt/user0.

Thanks for the Clarification. Now I feel a little dumb now that I just checked myself when I should of known better. I've moved files before to user0 internally from command line when I wanted to move files around knowing I didn't want them to go to the cache first.

43 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you make a share cache:no, no new files will be written to cache, but all files on cache and array are included in the user share.

Thanks for the information, i read this in the doc :

However if you manually create a top level folder on any drive the system will automatically consider this to be a user Share and give it default settings.

I understand that i just have to make a top level folder on any pool and it will be considered by the filesystem as the same as it would be selected as "cache" in the gui.

My question is when the same data is stored on two same top level folders, one on a array (on a hard drive) and another on a pool (eg on a ssd), when accessing to the array via /mnt/user/toplevelfolder/mydata, how to tell fuse file system to read the file on the ssd (pool) rather than the hard drive (array) ?

It will pick automatically the fastest device ?

Edited by doobyns
46 minutes ago, doobyns said:

My question is when the same data is stored on two same top level folders, one on a array (on a hard drive) and another on a pool (eg on a ssd),

That is not a condition that is considered normal, it can result in things happening that seem strange. I.E. you delete a file, refresh, and the file is still there, because the second instance is now revealed. It's normally not something you do on purpose, typically it's considered an error. If you are interacting with the user share system normally it can never happen.

The fuse system does work down the disks one at a time, the first instance of that file name will be the one presented in /mnt/user. I can't remember exactly what the order is though. Order is not configurable, beyond renaming devices.

Bottom line, you are colouring outside the lines on this one, things may not work as desired.

What I've been doing to bypass the built-in shares is simply fire up a Docker container with another samba instance (docker-compose plugin, dperson/samba container, br0 network, give it another static ip on my network, and share one/more folders I want). In my case it was to share a folder as SMBv1 and with settings that make it compatible with W95/98/XP to transfer stuff to my retro machines without affecting the main shares but that would also work just fine to share something under user0. 

version: '3.4'

services:
  samba:
    image: dperson/samba
    environment:
      TZ: 'Europe/whatever'
      USERID: 1000
      GROUPID: 100
    networks:
      lan_macvlan:
        ipv4_address: 192.168.0.8
    ports:
      - "137:137/udp"
      - "138:138/udp"
      - "139:139/tcp"
      - "445:445/tcp"
    read_only: true
    tmpfs:
      - /tmp
    restart: unless-stopped
    stdin_open: true
    tty: true
    volumes:
      - /mnt/user/share/XP:/mnt:z
      #- /mnt2:/mnt2:z
    command: '-s "SMBv1;/mnt;yes;no;yes;all"
              -r 
              -g "lanman auth = yes" 
              -g "client lanman auth = yes" 
              -g "client plaintext auth = yes" 
              -g "ntlm auth = yes" 
              -g "server min protocol = nt1"'

networks:
  lan_macvlan:
    name: lan_macvlan

Edited by Kilrah
15 hours ago, doobyns said:

I understand that i just have to make a top level folder on any pool and it will be considered by the filesystem as the same as it would be selected as "cache" in the gui.

If a share is created automatically in this way, it will have default settings. One of those defaults is cache:no

I just tested this by creating a top level folder directly on cache. The resulting user share is cache:no despite the fact that it only has files on cache. So any new files would go to the array.

• Thanks 1