How to replace multiple small disks with a new larger one?

Go to solution Solved by PFT,

I’ve been an Unraid user for over ten years and have had very few issues that I haven’t been able to resolve using the docs and the fantastic resource provided by the forum experts.

Current scenario concerns a 24-disc array in a Supermicro enclosure running 6.9.2. I would like to replace around half of the disks, which are 4TB with power-on hours around the 60,000 mark, with a smaller number (3 or 4) of much larger disks. I’ve already replaced the 2 parity disks with 16TB Seagate Exos as well as one of the old data disks which Unraid had previously disabled.

At this point I would like to start moving data files from some of the oldest 4TB disks to the new 16TB disk, then remove the now-empty 4TB(s) from the array, so I’m looking for an idiot-proof guide on how to do this. Especially for a two-parity configuration running 6.9.x.

The closest I’ve come across so far is this:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Replacing_Multiple_Data_Drives_with_a_Single_Larger_Drive

Is this the latest ‘official’ procedure? Is it suitable for a 2-parity setup? I don’t see this wiki document in the current (6.9.2) pdf version of the Unraid manual.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

OK thank you. I have finally got round to upgrading the array and am following the 'Faster Method' as given in the article linked above.

All the files have been copied to the new 16T disk and the old 4T disk removed. After powering up I am sitting at #8 'Use New Config to unassign removed disks and assign parity'.

The parity assignment worked OK  but I am unable to unassign the old disk which Unraid says is 'missing' Consequently I am unable to start the parity check due to 'Too many wrong and/or missing disks'

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.