Steps to rearrange drives

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Current system has 2 Parity and 17 disks. I want to physically re-arrange the disks and want to confirm the steps.

Stop Array

New Config -> Preserve Current assignments = None?

Configure Parity and Disk 1 - 17 in Array Devices

When do I state that Parity #1 is valid?

When do I set Parity 2 so that it rebuilds only the 2nd parity?

Thank you,

Adrian

• Solution

As long as you don't remove or add data drives parity is valid. Parity2 has to be rebuilt if drives are reordered. 

New Config, preserve all, change assignments as needed, unassign parity2. When starting the array check the parity valid box.

Then stop, assign parity2, start to begin parity2 build 

2 hours ago, trurl said:

As long as you don't remove or add data drives parity is valid. Parity2 has to be rebuilt if drives are reordered. 

New Config, preserve all, change assignments as needed, unassign parity2. When starting the array check the parity valid box.

Great, thanks again. Parity2 building now.

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2022 at 7:57 PM, trurl said:

I currently want to arrange my disk under the array so the disk# matches the slot I physically have the drive. If I created a new config and kept all data. unassigned all the drives in the array and reassigned to correct slots. I should be ok right?

5 minutes ago, BartyB said:

I currently want to arrange my disk under the array so the disk# matches the slot I physically have the drive. If I created a new config and kept all data. unassigned all the drives in the array and reassigned to correct slots. I should be ok right?

What parity disks do you have?    Rearranging drives invalidates parity2.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

What parity disks do you have?    Rearranging drives invalidates parity2.

Thanks for the reply! After posting my question I kept digging and finally found a old post that mentioned with 1 parity disk you are ok and with 2 you would have to do a rebuild. But it seems I am all set now. created a new config > rearranged my drives > turned the array back on with parity valid checked. 

22 minutes ago, BartyB said:

turned the array back on with parity valid checked. 

Note that if you have done that and have a parity2 drive you will now need to run a correcting parity check as parity2 will not actually be valid.

If might be a good idea to do that anyway just to confirm everything is in sync.

3 hours ago, BartyB said:

Thanks for the reply! After posting my question I kept digging and finally found a old post that mentioned with 1 parity disk you are ok and with 2 you would have to do a rebuild. But it seems I am all set now. created a new config > rearranged my drives > turned the array back on with parity valid checked. 

This is all discussed in this very thread, see my "solution" post above.

And it really isn't about how many parity disks, it is about parity and parity2. parity2 is different and depends on specific slot assignments for each disk.