Server randomly locking up

I need some help identifying this, I have seen the server refuse to boot giving something about a USB device, it says sda which is the unraid flash drive, I checked it on a windows PC and it didn't find any errors and another reboot usually worked. today it locked up again but it booted up in the first try after a cold boot, but this time the parity drive threw a Helium error which I have never seen but just appeared.

FYI I run my router in a Nested VM so it boots without internet.

nas-diagnostics-20220728-2246.zip

On 7/29/2022 at 4:32 AM, JorgeB said:

Enable the syslog server and post that after a crash.

ok, I enabled the Mirror to Flash Option, will reply when it crashes again.

FYI I replaced a deprecated CheckMK docker from CA and installed one from the DockerHUB. only change, this was performed today, hopefully this is irrelevant.

On 7/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, ceyo14 said:

ok, I enabled the Mirror to Flash Option, will reply when it crashes again.

FYI I replaced a deprecated CheckMK docker from CA and installed one from the DockerHUB. only change, this was performed today, hopefully this is irrelevant.

ok, today it locked up but was able to sort of login through the IPMI, sent reboot through the Terminal but it didn't respond, sent cold boot and it started normally... I do see the Parity drive is reporting issues, I am looking to replace it, Parity Check started but was going at 13MB/s... so I canceled it.

Please let me know if there is anything else.

nas-diagnostics-20220802-1814.zip

On 7/31/2022 at 4:07 AM, ceyo14 said:

I still see this message :

Aug  2 18:03:29 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: The plugin check_mk_agent.plg is not known to Community Applications and is possibly incompatible with your server

On 8/3/2022 at 1:31 AM, ChatNoir said:

I still see this message :

Aug  2 18:03:29 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: The plugin check_mk_agent.plg is not known to Community Applications and is possibly incompatible with your server

that is for the plugin, it was already installed but it appears to have been deprecated... I left it to use with the new docker. it is working.

syslog

Aug  5 23:01:33 NAS kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x116/0x144 [macvlan]
Aug  5 23:01:33 NAS kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xc7/0x110 [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces are usually the result of having dockers with a custom IP address and will end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enable, top right)).

13 hours ago, JorgeB said:
Aug  5 23:01:33 NAS kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x116/0x144 [macvlan]
Aug  5 23:01:33 NAS kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xc7/0x110 [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces are usually the result of having dockers with a custom IP address and will end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enable, top right)).

ok, I just fixed that, hopefully it improves stability.

This is something else that is happening lately, this is the output when trying to boot, the reason sometimes after the second boot it comes up. (what I mentioned above about it refusing to boot)

image.png.ee3801a901802717fb4924e6e2cdbc70.png

Including fresh logs and diagnostics... not sure if it helps.

Thanks a lot for the help.

nas-diagnostics-20220807-1931.zip syslog

On 8/8/2022 at 3:37 AM, JorgeB said:

Problems with the flash drive, try a different USB port, and make sure it's USB 2.0, not 3.0

I haven't had any further lockups yet... it's been up 7 days and I plan to change some hardware so if anything I will open another thread if needed. thanks for your help.

• Like 1