urgent. missing drives after psu upgrade.

i build a new gaming pc and decided to upgrade unraids psu pulled from my older gaming system. the psu never gave me issues. but after crossing my fingers that everything works, i got 4 missing disks that dont show up!

-parity 1 doesnt show up

-parity 2 sometimes shows up which looks like its the same issue from my previous psu. not a priority right now as it could be an issue with pin 3.

-i put the cache drive where parity 1 is, the cache drive was assigned as normal so the cables (power, data) are fine. 

-i put the parity disk on windows, spins up fine and i see it in disk manager. 

-i also added 2 new drives which are not assigned yet, they show up fine so i put the parity 1 in place of these 2 working new drives, goes undetected. 

it is headless so the things i have to do is get a working video cable and see if the drives show up in bios. other then that i dont know what else to try. suggestions please!!! 

the disks assigned that are showing as missing are: parity 1, disks 1, 3, 8. note: parity 1, parity 2, disks 1-2 are 4 to 1 with the sas and i already got a brand new cable. i figured if it was a cable, disk 2 woudlnt show up  but it does. 

i havnt yet tried to go back to my previous psu as im afraid and for the reason i am upgrading is because 1 disk every now and then gets DISABLED due to the power supply. but besides that, i really cant explain why if i plug in a different drive where those missing drives are at, it gets detected but none of the missing drives get detected no matter what slot i put them in. but again thinking maybe they got fried, they spin up fine and show up in device manager on windows. 

52 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You did carry over the power cables that came with the PSU instead of reusing the ones that were in place, right? 

Yes. The old PSU that I was using for unRAID was none modular. I did transfer the y splitter that I got online from a recommendation here. 

On 7/31/2022 at 4:40 AM, JorgeB said:

Use a molex to SATA adapter, connect the missing disk(s) to the onboard SATA ports and check if the disks are detected in the BIOS.

I tried a new molex to sata for the hard drives and it saw the drive but I only tried it with 1. If it's the cable, which I'm going to try and switch next, how do I replace the modular cable if they have so many different combinations for different power supplies? Also, I have a sata y splitter for 1x2 but when I bought them, I was new to knowing about quality and I see that these are 4 pin molded on the SATA side. Do you recommend I replace these? I need 3 of them splitter do each rack having 5 hard drives and the modular cable only have 4 connections. 

Appreciate your suggestion for trying the direct connection thank you! 

After seeing the drive once, I don't see it with the molex anymore after continue test on other drives. Not sure why this first drive is giving me issues. There are so many combinations of cables to try ugh! I don't see it on the bios but I do see a flash during post after the sas cards that days physical disks and it lasts a drive. I assume this is the 1 with the direct sata cable to the motherboard and the molex to sata but I don't see it as a bootable drive in the bios. I'm noticing that the keyboard also doesn't wanna interact with the bios. But I don't see it in the boot section where drives are usually at. Is there a way I can use a dock with the raspberry pi just to see if it recognizes it? 

9 hours ago, droopie said:

I tried a new molex to sata for the hard drives and it saw the drive but I only tried it with 1. If it's the cable, which I'm going to try and switch next, how do I replace the modular cable if they have so many different combinations for different power supplies?

The point of using a molex adapter it to make sure there is no 3.3v line connected to the drive, some drives won't power up if there is, google "wd 3.3v pin"

13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The point of using a molex adapter it to make sure there is no 3.3v line connected to the drive, some drives won't power up if there is, google "wd 3.3v pin"

ok this explains a lot! so i disconnected EVERYTHING from the psu besides the motherboard cables and only have 1 modular cable for molex and put the 1molex to 4 sata and i only used the first available connections on each cable. i went down the rack 1 drive at a time to test them all alone and each single drive shows up in the array assignment. here is where i have a 2 older drives that do not spin up at all. i think a splitter caused a short or something because both are not spinning. if i send these two drives in to a company to replace the pcb, will unraid think they are new drives as the pcb changed?