VM's are not getting USB 3.0 speeds

I have an Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard with a boatload of USB ports available. Generally my only usecase for the USB ports has been to plug in a mouse, keyboard or other dongle device.

I've recently purchased a VR headset and its upon plugging that in and using Oculus quest that i realized im not getting USB 3.0 speeds. When i run the cable test during Windows Oculus setup it keeps reporting as USB 2.0 speeds. I've tried plugging into my rear Type-c and front panel Type-c, I've also tried plugging in a USB Type A to Type C into various ports and still get the same result. I've tried 2 type c to type c cables and 2 type a to type c cables. 

I have stubbed everything in Group 22 to pass USB for VM's and left 1 remaining group 35 (4 usb ports) for the Unraid host to hold my boot flash and so i have a few more USB inputs if i need to keyboard/mouse to the host. Below is all USB thats bound to vfio so passed through to my Win vm.

IOMMU group 22:[1022:57a4] 03:08.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse PCIe GPP Bridge

[1022:1485] 09:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Reserved SPP

[1022:149c] 09:00.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller

This controller is bound to vfio, connected USB devices are not visible.

[1022:149c] 09:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller

This controller is bound to vfio, connected USB devices are not visible.

In Windows Device manager you can see my USB 3.0 devices. It also mentions Type-C for my GPU (A MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio) but the card doesn't have a Type-C port. I assume its for controlling the LED's. Device manager shows no issues with the drivers, and i've ran "Snappy driver installer" on the machine and it hasn't reported any driver issues either. 

Capture1.JPG.556560d8f5283f65ed020483b64a50dc.JPG

Any thoughts on why im not seeing 3.0 speeds? 

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Andrew Young said:

In A Win11 VM - I'm only seeing 10MB/s transfers from an unraid share -> USB 3.0 attached USB hard drive. Wondering if this is a similar issue?

It sounds a bit similar. Have you tried testing the transfer speed in Unraid only (not the VM) with the same usb device & port? I never found an issue to this problem. 

1 minute ago, Andrew Young said:

yes - but just cracked the issue for me, the USB controller settings for the VM defaulted to USB2 controller (not USB3). I've changed it and I'm up to 100MB/s now.

Oh ok, I must check the XML. Maybe the same had happened in the XML but it's displayed differently in the GUI dropdowns.