datruedave transmission plugin to docker (from [Support] Linuxserver.io - Transmission)

54 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you still have original cache and original Unassigned Device appdisk? Maybe we can get your earlier setup from those and try again to get them on your new setup so they work as before.

Yes to both.  The unassignd appdisk is not in the machine, but there is room for me to put it back in.  The old cache drive is still in the machine, but unmounted.  Do I add them as "pool" drives with new names?

If you are OK starting from scratch that would probably be easiest.

Or we can try to copy what you have from those other disks, but as Unassigned Devices, not as pool drives. No point in assigning them as pools right now, you can decide if it makes sense to reuse them for that purpose later.

Let me study diagnostics, may be after I get some dinner. Then we can see about getting your system setup properly for dockers, before actually trying to install any dockers.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

If you are OK starting from scratch that would probably be easiest.

Or we can try to copy what you have from those other disks, but as Unassigned Devices, not as pool drives. No point in assigning them as pools right now, you can decide if it makes sense to reuse them for that purpose later.

Let me study diagnostics, may be after I get some dinner. Then we can see about getting your system setup properly for dockers, before actually trying to install any dockers.

Thanks.

I don't understand that fix common problems error that refers to the "Books" share, as that existed previously and I made no changes to it.  Why would it throw an error now, but not previously?  I don't understand why I'm getting the other errors, but at least they refer to things that I've been screwing with...

2022 08 07 Fix Common Problems error.png

User shares are at /mnt/user, such as /mnt/user/appdata.

It appears you have specified /mnt/appdata instead. Also you have apparently specified another as Appdata. Linux is case-sensitive so these are different.

And similarly, cache is mounted at /mnt/cache, but it appears you have specified /mnt/Cache instead, which is not at all the same.

Only mounted storage is persistent. If you specify /mnt/user/appdata, that is OK because /mnt/user is where the user shares are mounted, and so that is the appdata user share.

If you specify /mnt/cache, that is OK because the pool named cache is mounted there. There is no pool named Cache, and I don't think it will even let you create a pool with the first letter capitalized.

If you specify /mnt/appdata, or /mnt/Cache, there is no storage mounted there, so these paths are in RAM like all other OS folders. Anything stored there will not survive reboot. And even if you don't care if they persist, there is some danger that with these paths, you would fill rootfs, the space where the OS lives, and lots of things could break since the OS wouldn't have room to work with its own files.

Just now, trurl said:

In what way do you mean it "existed"?

Where have you specified the folder /mnt/Books?

Let's get into this a little bit, because it is useful to understand how things work under the hood when trying to setup dockers.

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt

I have looked at diagnostics a little bit.

Let's start with your go file since that is sort of where Unraid starts, at least the parts you can affect.

Your go file is config/go on your flash drive. You won't be needing much of what you currently have. In fact, all you really need is the config/go file from the downloaded zip of any current release of Unraid.

After you have replaced config/go on flash with one from download, reboot, then

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Create_the_Docker_image_file

but change size from 500 to 20 before enabling docker.

Then post new diagnostics.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

/mnt/Books is not a user share named Books, it isn't anything except a folder in RAM. The user share named Books would be at /mnt/user/Books.

In what way do you mean it "existed"?

Ah, I see.  But what is referring to mnt/Books?  Why am I getting that error now, when I didn't before?  Especially now that the Docker apps are gone?  What is it that Fix Common Problems is seeing that refers to that path?  I'd rather just fix things than figure out the answer to this, honestly.  I think the little lightbulb that you just made go off in my head about user shares will help me a lot.  Thank you.

I'll have to look up how to do command line stuff again.  I think I need to telnet or something?  I don't have a spare monitor to hook up to my server.

I'll do what you mention in your last post tomorrow and will post here.  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

I have looked at diagnostics a little bit.

Let's start with your go file since that is sort of where Unraid starts, at least the parts you can affect.

Your go file is config/go on your flash drive. You won't be needing much of what you currently have. In fact, all you really need is the config/go file from the downloaded zip of any current release of Unraid.

After you have replaced config/go on flash with one from download, reboot, then

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Create_the_Docker_image_file

but change size from 500 to 20 before enabling docker.

Then post new diagnostics.

I had time to do this tonight, and reinstalled the Plex docker app.  It's working, kinda.  My problem seems to be within Plex (Plex sees this as a new Plex server, and I can't get the GUI to work the way I want.)  I'll try playing around with this tomorrow.

Diagnostics attached.  I'm headed for bed.  Thanks again!

serenity-diagnostics-20220807-2310.zip

9 hours ago, datruedave said:

rather just fix things than figure out the answer to this

How will you fix things in the future if you don't know any answers?

9 hours ago, datruedave said:

how to do command line stuff

You can get to the command line in a browser window by clicking the terminal icon (>_) on the main bar in your Unraid webUI.

Haven't looked at diagnostics yet, but they won't tell everything about how you have plex setup, which I want to know whether you think it works or not.

Post docker run for plex.

Diagnostics shows you fixed go and docker.img as I instructed.

Your system share has files on the array. You want all of appdata, domains (you don't have since you haven't enabled VM Manager), and system shares on a fast SSD pool (cache) so dockers/VM will perform better and so array disks can spin down, since these files are always open.

What do you get from command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk3/system

More in next post

Looks like Fix Common Problems isn't complaining anymore so you must have cleaned up that, probably by fixing your plex host paths, but I still want to see the docker run for that.

You are still installing the Transmission plugin, but it can't possibly work unless you changed paths on its setup, since you are no longer mounting appdisk. Just disable it for now, and we can work on getting transmission docker working instead.

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

Diagnostics shows you fixed go and docker.img as I instructed.

Your system share has files on the array. You want all of appdata, domains (you don't have since you haven't enabled VM Manager), and system shares on a fast SSD pool (cache) so dockers/VM will perform better and so array disks can spin down, since these files are always open.

What do you get from command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk3/system

More in next post

Command line gives this:

root@Serenity:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk3/system
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 3 nobody users  28 Mar 16  2019 ./
drwxrwxrwx 8 nobody users 125 Aug  7 23:15 ../
drwxrwxrwx 2 dave   users  10 Aug  7 22:51 docker/
root@Serenity:~# ^C
root@Serenity:~#

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

Looks like Fix Common Problems isn't complaining anymore so you must have cleaned up that, probably by fixing your plex host paths, but I still want to see the docker run for that.

You are still installing the Transmission plugin, but it can't possibly work unless you changed paths on its setup, since you are no longer mounting appdisk. Just disable it for now, and we can work on getting transmission docker working instead.

I'm in the process of copying my Plex config from Books to appdata, so I don't want to start the docker to post my docker run until that's done.  I haven't changed anything else in there yet. (So, again, I don't understand the Fix Common Problems errors.)  I did notice that it put additional (blank) paths in there again, after I had deleted them a couple of days ago. 

I did move my Transmission plugin config to appdata, but I do want to get the docker working instead.

4 minutes ago, datruedave said:

I haven't changed anything else in there yet. (So, again, I don't understand the Fix Common Problems errors.)  I did notice that it put additional (blank) paths in there again, after I had deleted them a couple of days ago. 

Not entirely clear, but might be clearer if you go ahead with this

12 hours ago, trurl said:

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt

15 minutes ago, datruedave said:

Command line gives this:

14 minutes ago, datruedave said:

drwxrwxrwx 2 dave   users  10 Aug  7 22:51 docker/

And what do you get from command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk3/system/docker

7 minutes ago, datruedave said:

I did move my Transmission plugin config to appdata

Post a screenshot of that plugin page

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

And what do you get from command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk3/system/docker

This:

root@Serenity:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk3/system/docker
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 2 dave   users 10 Aug  7 22:51 ./
drwxrwxrwx 3 nobody users 28 Mar 16  2019 ../

And here's the Transmission plugin screenshot.

2022 08 08 Transmission Plugin screenshot.png

11 minutes ago, datruedave said:

root@Serenity:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk3/system/docker

So just an empty folder. You can remove that with

rm -rf /mnt/disk3/system

Still want to see what you get from command line with this

ls -lah /mnt

16 minutes ago, datruedave said:

Transmission plugin screenshot

Does it work?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

So just an empty folder. You can remove that with

rm -rf /mnt/disk3/system

Still want to see what you get from command line with this

ls -lah /mnt

Does it work?

Transmission plugin is working. 

Here's what I get from command line:
root@Serenity:~# rm -rf /mnt/disk3/system
root@Serenity:~# ls -lah /mnt
total 24K
drwxr-xr-x 15 root   root   300 Aug  7 23:05 ./
drwxr-xr-x 20 root   root   460 Aug  8 08:13 ../
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users   66 Aug  7 23:15 cache/
drwxrwxrwx 12 nobody users  216 Aug  7 23:15 disk1/
drwxrwxrwx 11 nobody users  191 Aug  7 23:15 disk2/
drwxrwxrwx  7 nobody users  107 Aug  8 08:51 disk3/
drwxrwxrwx 13 nobody users 4.0K Aug  7 23:15 disk4/
drwxrwxrwx 12 nobody users 4.0K Aug  7 23:15 disk5/
drwxrwxrwx 14 nobody users  254 Aug  7 23:15 disk6/
drwxrwxrwx 13 nobody users  235 Aug  7 23:15 disk7/
drwxrwxrwt  2 nobody users   40 Aug  7 23:05 disks/
drwxrwxrwt  2 nobody users   40 Aug  7 23:05 remotes/
drwxrwxrwt  2 nobody users   40 Aug  7 23:05 rootshare/
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users  216 Aug  8 08:51 user/
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users  216 Aug  8 08:51 user0/

2 minutes ago, datruedave said:

root@Serenity:~# ls -lah /mnt

That looks good

Transmission plugin is working

That isn't far off from how the docker would be configured, except the docker won't know anything about any of your user shares unless you map them.

I got the impression that you want transmission to download to different user shares. I have it download everything to one user share that I seed from, and then I copy anything I want from there to my other shares. I know there are more sophisticated ways to do that with links and such nowadays, but it works for me.

How are you telling transmission which user share to download to? Do you do that when you add each torrent?

35 minutes ago, trurl said:

How are you telling transmission which user share to download to? Do you do that when you add each torrent?

Yes, I didn't want to have copies, and I try to seed everything "forever," so I tell Transmission where to put it when I add each torrent.  It's usually one of three places, but occasionally a couple of other places. 

I think the problem I was having with the Transmission docker was getting the Transmission Remote GUI to work.  I'll mess with that in a bit.

Back to the Plex transcode folder:  is it typical to have that in the appdata user share?

I tell Transmission where to put it when I add each torrent.  It's usually one of three places, but occasionally a couple of other places.

It is possible to map all user shares in one mapping, that is what I do with plex though some might consider that less secure than mapping each separately.

4 minutes ago, datruedave said:

the Plex transcode folder:  is it typical to have that in the appdata user share?

I think that is where it goes by default. What do you have set for the transcode directory in plex?

For reference, here is my plex docker run:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMS' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e HOST_HOSTNAME="unSERVER" -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="PlexMS" -e 'VERSION'='latest' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e '100'='100' -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:32400]/web' -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/plex-icon.png' c -v '/mnt/fast/DVR/Transcode':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/fast/appdata/plexms/':'/config':'rw' --device=/dev/dri 'linuxserver/plex'
e462af0a5e00248ed6ae9cf90de99daf18b6a13524466678efb136e0bbbfe43c

This maps all user shares (host path) to /media (container path) in plex

-v '/mnt/user/':'/media':'rw'

Then I can just point each library in plex to a subfolder of /media, where it can find /media/TV at the host path /mnt/user/TV (TV user share), for example.

This maps /mnt/fast/DVR/Transcode (host path) to /transcode (container path) in plex, and I have the transcode directory in plex set to /transcode.

-v '/mnt/fast/DVR/Transcode':'/transcode':'rw'

fast is the name of my nvme pool (1x256GB XFS) where I keep things for performance. So, /mnt/fast/DVR is my DVR user share on the fast pool, and Transcode is a subfolder of that user share.

This maps /mnt/fast/appdata/plexms (host path) to /config (container path) in plex

-v '/mnt/fast/appdata/plexms/':'/config':'rw'

Like all appdata, this is where the application keeps things it needs to know, such as everything plex knows about your media.

Not appearing in these mappings, my pool named cache is SSDs (2x500GB btrfs raid1) for caching user shares, so it is included in any cached user shares.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:19 PM, trurl said:

All those empty mappings (/movies, /music, /transcode) could be removed

On 8/2/2022 at 10:58 AM, datruedave said:

-v '':'/movies':'rw' -v '':'/tv':'rw' -v '':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw'

I removed those from the Edit Container page.

57 minutes ago, datruedave said:

problem I was having with the Transmission docker was getting the Transmission Remote GUI

I use that also, unclear how it could have anything to do with the docker.

If you didn't map any of your user shares then transmission wouldn't know where to download anything.

If you told it to download somewhere that wasn't mapped, those would just be paths inside the container (inside docker.img), where it would fill up docker.img (maybe why you thought you needed 500G?), where you couldn't easily access any of it (way down in some folder in some vdisk that isn't exposed except at the command line), and where it wouldn't survive updating the container (since it would be recreated).