Unraid 6.10.3: GPU passthrough to Windows 10 VM not working after upgrade from 6.9

I've been running Windows VM on 6.9  with NVidia GPU passthrough for a long time with 0 issues.  After the upgrade, VM tab says that Windows is started, but the monitor is blank.  There are no errors in the VM log, so I'm attaching the full diagnostics.  Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my primary work machine

Edited by feliksk
15 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Looks like you solved it, do you mind posting the solution?

Ditto here—this thread is marked “solved”, but I see no solution.

I was literally just about to pull the trigger on my own 6.9 → 6.10.3 upgrade—I’d made my last flash backup and was set to go—when I happened to see this thread. My Windows 10 VM has been working flawlessly up till now for years as the primary userland OS on the box, and the mere existence of this thread has me scared now!

I did not solve, rather gave up.  I downgraded to 6.9.2 and had to recreate Windows VM to get everything working again.  With 6.10.3, I couldn't get the GPU passthrough working even with a new VM

There's no harm trying to upgrade as you can always go back.  I'm sure it's something specific to my setup as I don't see any reports with a similar issue.  I use the old way of isolating vfio, so when I get a chance I'll change it and will try again

Edited by feliksk
18 hours ago, feliksk said:

There's no harm trying to upgrade as you can always go back.

I’m confused by this because you earlier wrote

18 hours ago, feliksk said:

I did not solve, rather gave up.  I downgraded to 6.9.2 and had to recreate Windows VM to get everything working again. 

That certainly sounds like “harm in trying” to me! Unless—knowing what you now know—there’s an additional step you could’ve done in backing up your 6.9 configuration that would have made rolling back easier?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 5:20 PM, feliksk said:

I just created a new Windows VM and pointed it to the previous primary vDisk Location.

Curious… did you have GPU and USB passthrough? I wonder if we’re dealing with motherboard/GPU/USB bridge differences or what, that some are just breezing through with standard installs and even upgrades, and others are having no luck.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, TreyH said:

Curious… did you have GPU and USB passthrough? I wonder if we’re dealing with motherboard/GPU/USB bridge differences or what, that some are just breezing through with standard installs and even upgrades, and others are having no luck.

Yes, with 6.9.2 I'm passing both GPU and USB controller through.  Nvidia GeForce GT 730 GPU and ASRock X570 Taichi motherboard.  Never had any issues until 6.10.x.  I haven't tried 6.11 yet

Somewhat exactly the same here. Running on 6.9.2 I've passthroughed the NVMe, USB controllers and GTX 1660 gpu. Everything is working flawlessly on 6.9.2. But as soon as I upgrade to 6.10.3 or 6.11, the whole passthrough never works. The NVMe drive fails to even post/boot. Bare metal everything works fine. Even if I nuke the whole vm and create a freshly new one, it doesn't passthrough anything (tried a bunch of settings and still failed). When downgraded to 6.9.2, everything was working flawless again. Like all others here, couldn't find a solution anywhere so I just gave up.