Filesystem Corruption? Need help troubleshooting/repairing missing files/directories.

Hello - I noticed that huge swathes of my media library were not accessible/did not exist and were also not showing up in Plex (of course). It does appear that all of my shares are present, but many are empty or have a handful of directories (versus hundreds which should be there). Based on what is showing, I am pretty sure that some disks are fine and others are not. I don't have any warnings (that I can see). Based on some googling I am thinking it may be a filesystem corruption? I actually don't mind that much, because what I am really worried about are all of the working files I need for my business (a ton).

My tech prowess is about 6/10, so I am a bit at a loss as to how to proceed and diagnose. Suggestions? (Logs attached)

hafer-diagnostics-20220803-1301.zip

On 8/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, JorgeB said:

No filesystem corruption detected so far, first thing to do is to check if the files are there or not, browse the shares using for example midnight commander (mc on the console), if they are there you should then check the permissions.

Sorry for the delay (got covid just as I posted this!). So, what I can see in MC mirrors what I can see when browing my shares over the network. Again, it looks like each share is there, some are totally empty, but some have, say 5 directories instead of the expected 150+. Looking at my main screen, it appears that 10TB of a ballpark of about 38 used TB before are missing (i don't have the exact size before.

I'm kind of worried.

So odd. When I go into Sonarr, it looks like an empty library, not sure what is going on there. Radarr looks normal and I don't (think) there are any directories missing that are managed by that. The system is behind a firewall at the docker level (I have each routed through VPN).

Thanks again for the help and for anyone who stumbles across this: I believe I had an issue that left my Sonarr image open to the internet and the sonarr forums say they have seen a lot of bad actors wiping things of late.

I backup offsite for work-related and personal files, but not video (usually). Are there any file recovery routes I can take? I'm really looking for a small handful of the removed directories (I can download everything else)?

No firsthand experience, just a couple google hits.

https://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Does_the_filesystem_have_an_undelete_capability.3F

https://github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete

A quote from that page...

Limitations

The way XFS deletes files makes it impossible to recover the filename or the path. You cannot undelete only certain files. The tool however has a mechanism only to recover files deleted or modified since a certain date. See the -t and -T options.

The way XFS deletes files makes it impossible to recover heavily fragmented files. For typical 512 byte inodes, you can only recover files having at maximum 21 extents (of arbitrary size). Files with more extents cannot be recovered at all by this program.

The way XFS deletes files makes it impossible to retrieve the correct file size. Most files will be padded with zeroes so they fit the XFS block size. Most programs do not bother anyway. Files of the text/ mimetypes get their trailing zeroes trimmed by default after recovery. See the -z option to change this behaviour.

Doesn't sound very hopeful.