Moving unraid Eth0 to a new nic confusion

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

First and foremost, I am sorry even to be asking this. Coming from a networking background, I feel dumb after spending a few hours on this project.

Backstory:
I upgraded my internal network with new 10G SFP Ethernet modules and Cat7 networking. The new setup is simple:
Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro to un-managed switch via SFP, un-managed switch to HP DL360 Gen9 via SFP. I then swapped from 100Mb Ethernet to the SFP port by plugging in the new SFP, hooked up an Ethernet to my router, and then swapped the 192.168.1.3 IP reservation from the old Ethernet to SFP. Rebooted, logged right in, no issues.

Once I verified the SFP module and port were working and assigned the 192.168.1.3 in DHCP, I rebooted and disabled the original internal 4x Ethernet ports via the bios, again,  logged right back in with no issues. After all this, I had my system running with Eth0, Eth4, and Eth5 (SFP ports). I shut Eth5down, leaving me with Eth0 and Eth4.

Issue:

Now this is where it gets weird. "ifconfig" shows no Eth0, and "ifconfig eth0." shows "eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found." I have to manually assign the 192.168.1.3 IP to Eth0 for it not to pull a 169.x.x.x address. I believe I have everything set up correct; attached are pictures of the Network Configuration page.

Any help would be appreciated regarding what I may be doing wrong or if I am way over thinking this lol 🙃🙃🙃

Eth0.png

Eth4.png

Eth5-InterfaceRules-RoutingTable.png

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, TRusselo said:

very similar thing happened to me.

added a 10gig card, it took over as ETH0, pushing my onboard to ETH1 
the server and I got confused.
I was unable to "port down" either card,  so i took out the 10gig card.
was left with no ETH0

this thread sounds like the fix. ill do it later tonight.

Yep, doing what Jorge said had me back up and running in about 8 minutes. Backup your flashdrive JUST in case of issues.

Navigate to main tab -> Flash -> Export set to "Yes" | Security set to "Public"
Open Flash drive in file explorer like a Sharedrive
Navigate to /config/ folder, and delete network-rules.cfg
Shut down server, install new card, turn server back on
Navigate to main tab -> Flash -> Export set to "No" | Security set to "Private"
Configure your new network card as you did the first time!

1 hour ago, TRusselo said:

added a 10gig card, it took over as ETH0, pushing my onboard to ETH1 
the server and I got confused.
I was unable to "port down" either card,  so i took out the 10gig card.

BTW if the automatic detection picks the wrong card as eth0, you can navigate to Settings -> Network Settings -> Interface Rules and adjust things until the right nic is eth0

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TRusselo said:

Are you sure?
How can i  set Eth0 in this screenshot?
image.thumb.png.7154fa834deebb829332bea61de28a93.png

@ljm42 Isn't incorrect that this is the *typical* way that this functions. However for me, my OS refused to pick up the new NIC even after reboots, and you can see in my original post that there was no MAC address tied to eth0, after deleting the rule file, and rebooting, it was recreated, and the MAC address was available for signing.

4 hours ago, TRusselo said:

Are you sure?
How can i  set Eth0 in this screenshot?

Sorry, I was referring to the first part of your comment which was that eth0 and eth1 were swapped. That could have been fixed on Settings -> Network Settings -> Interface Rules rather than physically removing the nic.

Once the nic has been removed and eth0 has gone missing, then deleting the file and rebooting is the best way forward.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Hello, i added a 10G nic on my server and it took over ETH0 and its giving me headaches becasue the 10G NIC is never going to have internet access.

The "Interface rules" thing would be basically the solution, but this section does not apeear in my Network Settings...

Is it hidden by default?

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

No, try deleting /boot/config/network.cfg and network-rules.cfg (if it exists) and reboot.

Thanks.

The file "network-rules.cfg" does not exist, i deleted "network.cfg" and all the network settings returned to default, but the "interface rules" still not there.

Is there anything else to try?

I'm on version 6.12.3

Both NICs are working.

I currently have a 2.5G and a 10G NICs, the 2.5G is connected to a 1G switch that is connected to the router and has internet access. The 10G NIC is connected directly to a 10G NIC on another computer.

From that computer I can access the server without issues and at full 10G speeds, and from the home network I can also access the server at full 1G speeds.

The issue is that Unraid assighns ETH0 to the 10G nic and expects internet from there.

Diags attached.

server1a-diagnostics-20230830-1323.zip

Edited by SHALcL

Goddamit

Thanks or looking in to it.

As you can see, tried creating an empty "network-rules.cfg" to see if it would populate it after reboot, but no luck.

Is there somewhere I can get a "network-rules.cfg" sample to se if i can manually create it and see if it works?