Since recommended ungrade to 6.10.3 Unraid is unstable.

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Since doing the recommended upgrade to Unraid 6.10.3 my server has become unstable, frequently locking up and losing my browser connection to the server. This has happened about 4 times since upgrade.

When I connect a monitor & keyboard to the server, the screen is frozen and garbled with blinking text. I am using the onboard intel video as my graphic card and was under the impression version 6.10.3 resolved this issue. 

Prior to the upgrade Unraid was very stable with no issues.

Any ideas or recommendations? 

kensplace-diagnostics-20220805-1215.zip

Jul 31 01:00:57 KENSPLACE nginx: 2022/07/31 01:00:57 [error] 5900#5900: *535614 limiting requests, excess: 20.607 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.2.250.183, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "kensplace"
Jul 31 01:00:57 KENSPLACE nginx: 2022/07/31 01:00:57 [error] 5900#5900: *535616 limiting requests, excess: 20.587 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.2.250.183, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "kensplace"

Do you know this host? Keeps flooding the syslog.

10.2.250.183 is the ip for my Windows 10 computer which I login to Unraid from. And once I login to Unraid I remain attached and do not logout. I use my Windows 10 computer for my photo editing Photoshop & Lightroom and 3D modeling/rendering (Blender, DAZ Studio, 3D Coat) and digital illustrating (Corel Painter, ArtRage & Rebelle). I remain logged into Unraid so I can keep an eye on disk temperatures and other things.

At the end of the day, I shutdown my Windows 10 computer and Unraid as well as my two other computers (Windows 10 and Ubuntu) due to heat issues in the room during summer. And power usage. I've maintained this practise since I first using Unraid which I found as stable as a finely tuned small block Chevy V8.

Thanks kindly for the reply.

Edited by Vetteman
6 hours ago, JorgeB said:
Jul 31 01:00:57 KENSPLACE nginx: 2022/07/31 01:00:57 [error] 5900#5900: *535614 limiting requests, excess: 20.607 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.2.250.183, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "kensplace"
Jul 31 01:00:57 KENSPLACE nginx: 2022/07/31 01:00:57 [error] 5900#5900: *535616 limiting requests, excess: 20.587 by zone "authlimit", client: 10.2.250.183, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "kensplace"

Do you know this host? Keeps flooding the syslog.

There no entries of this happening today when I had the freezing issue. 

Thanks for the link. Sounds like it maybe but I do not have Plex installed or use Plex. The only plugin I use a lot is Handbrake. But Handbrake was not running when I had my last freeze. 

And after reading the link, I am uncertain on how to resolve this issue other then disabling the onboard intel graphic card and installing a dedicated Nvidia or AMD/ATI graphic card or downgrade to what appears to be the last stable version of Unraid 6.8.x.

I find it ironic I did not have this issue prior to the upgrade to 6.10.3.

If this is such a problem with Unraid  and Linux kernel 5.x are there any step by step "how tos" on resolving this i915 issue?

Is Limetech looking at resolving this issue with future versions or updates to Unraid?

I am also running  Ubuntu (kernel 5.15.8-43-generic ) and another computer using Intel onboard video and have not once had this issue.

Cheers and many thanks

Edited by Vetteman
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it happened again today. I powered my Unraid server on and I was able to remote to it via Firefox from my Linux computer and start the array.

After the array started, I lost my Firefox connection to Unraid.

I attached a monitor to the Unraid server and the terminal screen was flickering and all garbled. I powered Unraid server off, it was the only way that I could restart it.

Again, I've only been having this issue since updating to 6.10.3.

This instability is starting to worry me as I've moved all backups of my photo files, 3D assets and digital renders & illustrations from my multiple external drives to Unraid shares.

Attached syslog.

syslog-10.2.250.180 (2).log

Edited by Vetteman

I just had it happened once again. I turned on my Unraid pc near noon today - Aug 25th. 

I noticed  shorttly after I started  Unraid computer, SYSLOG is reporting. 

Aug 25 00:26:04 KENSPLACE wsdd2[7090]: 'Terminated' signal received.
Aug 25 00:26:04 KENSPLACE wsdd2[7090]: terminating.

Could this have caused the crash? Once again the screen was garbled.

Not sure where this terminating signal came from as I did not have a monitor connected to Unraid upon launch. 

And I was not connected to Unraid via a web browser.

PS: I am still running 6.10.3 and have not rolled back.  I will once I get a few replies on my question of what is this Terminated signal when I did not issue a reboot or down.

syslog-10.2.250.180 (3).log

Edited by Vetteman
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not downgraded to the previous version of Unraid as it has been quite stable for the last week or so. 

However this morning again I went through the same scenario.

Turned on Unraid server. And waited for 5 minutes. Connected via Chrome browser to Unraid to start the array. 

Map drives to shares from my 2nd Windows computer and every thing seems fine. But a few seconds later the server is unavailable.

This time instead of being frozen it was rebooting.  And once again I find these entries in my system log at the time of issue.

Sep  6 10:22:32 KENSPLACE root: Delaying execution of fix common problems scan for 10 minutes
Sep  6 10:22:32 KENSPLACE Recycle Bin: Starting Recycle Bin
Sep  6 10:22:32 KENSPLACE emhttpd: Starting Recycle Bin...
Sep  6 10:22:32 KENSPLACE wsdd2[5805]: 'Terminated' signal received.
Sep  6 10:22:32 KENSPLACE wsdd2[5805]: terminating.
Sep  6 10:22:33 KENSPLACE rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2102.0" x-pid="6554" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Sep  6 10:22:34 KENSPLACE wsdd2[6694]: starting.
Sep  6 10:22:47 KENSPLACE unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...
Sep  6 10:22:47 KENSPLACE emhttpd: Starting services...

What is this terminating signal? What is triggering it?

Based on my very limited knowledge of Unraid it appears it maybe the "fix common problems" app which is the culprit? 

I really do not know this is causing the issue but looking at my syslog, it appears it is.

Thanks kindly...

syslog-10.2.250.180 (18).log

WSD ha been disabled.

When the Samba loop hole was discovered a few years ago, I disabled netbios on my 3 Windows 10 computers and Samba 1 support on my Ubuntu fileserver. So I do not think I need WSD nor do I share any printers connected to my computers. My HP is shared via wifi.

I can't recall if WSD was enabled in the previous version of Unraid I had running.

Thanks very much for your assistance and suggestion.

• 1 month later...