Can't run memtest from Unraid USB

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi,

I am able to start my Unraid server just fine but when I select the memtest option during Unraid bootup, there is a prompt that says memtest is loading but memtest is never started. I have already tried to boot in legacy mode (motherboard is J3455-ITX) with the same USB drive but it does not seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions how I can actually run memtest? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

wrong question 🙂

should be "what is wrong with memtest?" instead.

And the simple answer is: it is totally outdated.

You need to pick up a current version from the memtest site https://memtest.org/ itself and put it onto a seperate usb stick.

The reason for this inconvinience is, that memtest has changed their license some time ago, UNRAID as an commercial product, is not allowed anymore to ship it. So the last "free" version stays on the UNRAID stick, but it does not work well (or at all) anymore on modern hardware.

(Should be dropped completely)

1 minute ago, MarianKoniuszko said:

Only way is to return them back to Amazon?

No,

It is normal for AMD based machines to show several errors.

What you have to do is:

* go into BIOS

* select a different (apparently lower) RAM speed

* rerun memtest

* repeat until the errors are gone

AM4 boards claim to be able to use DDR4 RAM with 3200Mhz, but they often lie. This depends on how much RAM you have installed, your CPU type and sometimes even what other slots are in use by which card.

So take some time and experiment a bit. My board for instance runs stable with up to 3000Mhz (128Gigs of RAM).

The normal speed 2133 Mhz should always work, this is what RAMS are designed for.

More is possible but not guaranteed.

Try it

4 hours ago, MarianKoniuszko said:

You tell me how long that test should work?

Not really, this obviously depends on size and speed (of the used processor).

Once I had found a "suitable" setting, I had let it run overnight. When I got up again, it had finished four complete test runs (without any error).

To play it even more safe, you can afterwards lower the speed another time. (mine were "stable" with 3100Mhz, I've set them to 3000)

It does not really matter if they run at 2133 or 3200, the difference is only visible on a busy computer doing maths like bitcoin or cyphers. For the usually sleeping fileserver RAM gets bored :-)))

23 minutes ago, MarianKoniuszko said:

Can You tell me do I have to do something on unRAID when I change RAM? 

Turn on the machine with the UNRAID stick in :-)))

(naaa, kidding, there is nothing to do, UNRAID will determine the new size and recalc buffer usages and so on automatically)

• Thanks 1