Help - Read-Check will take 176 Days to complete.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might not have been long enough memtest, but usually a problem will show up in the first pass so I guess we will go with it.

The best advice we had was probably here

16 hours ago, JorgeB said:

recommend running xfs_repair (without -n) on all array disks.

But lets do it with -n first, and one disk at a time, starting with unmountable disk9

Check filesystem on disk9, capture the output so you can post it.

There are still ATA errors with multiple disks on the last diags:

Aug  7 19:26:59 Tower kernel: ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Aug  7 19:27:03 Tower kernel: ata2: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Aug  7 19:27:08 Tower kernel: ata2: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Aug  7 19:27:08 Tower kernel: ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
Aug  7 19:27:08 Tower kernel: mdcmd (36): set md_write_method 1
Aug  7 19:27:08 Tower kernel:
Aug  7 19:27:12 Tower kernel: ata6: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Aug  7 19:27:12 Tower kernel: ata6.00: configured for UDMA/133
Aug  7 19:27:13 Tower kernel: ata7: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Aug  7 19:27:13 Tower kernel: ata7.00: configured for UDMA/133
Aug  7 19:27:52 Tower kernel: ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Aug  7 19:27:55 Tower kernel: ata6: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Aug  7 19:27:55 Tower kernel: ata6.00: configured for UDMA/133

Ideally you fix those before running xfs_repair, if replacing the SATA cables didn't help it could be a power problem, PSU or power cables.

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

power problem, PSU or power cables.

That's what I'm beginning to suspect.

What is the exact model of your power supply?

How are the drives connected to the power supply?

You probably don't want more than 3, maybe 4, drives on a single SATA power cable. Don't split SATA power connectors. You might be able to put more than 4 drives on a peripheral cable, if you need to split anything do it there on the molex connectors.

11 hours ago, trurl said:

You probably don't want more than 3, maybe 4, drives on a single SATA power cable. Don't split SATA power connectors. You might be able to put more than 4 drives on a peripheral cable, if you need to split anything do it there on the molex connectors.

I am using the molex to sata cable.

Disk1 disabled and unmountable, disk9 unmountable. That's the way it was in your previous diagnostics. Nothing you can do to hardware is going to fix those things since they have already happened.

The filesystems of both have to be repaired and disk1 has to be rebuilt. But if hardware isn't working well then repair and rebuild isn't going to work well.

Can't tell much about how well the hardware is currently working since diagnostics are immediately after reboot.

20 minutes ago, StewLoft said:

Main page shows parity not valid, dashboard shows parity valid

Not clear what you mean there, parity2 looks fine in diagnostics. Post screenshots.

8 hours ago, StewLoft said:

I am considering this power supply

That looks very nice. I wish we could be more confident it would solve anything.

You could get rid of the Marvell controllers, but also not confident it would solve anything.

These diagnostics are mostly full of call traces. Not clear to me if it has anything to do with drives, connections, cables, controllers...

Maybe someone else will have some idea what those mean.

Without reviewing the thread can't remember every suggestion.

I don't think you are using VMs, but is VT-d enabled in BIOS? Marvell and VT-d might not play well together.

Have you tried reseating the controllers?

Connections and cables. I am beginning to think drives, connections, cables are not the real problem, but I will mention some things about that anyway.

Are you bundling data cables? Don't

All connectors should sit squarely on the connection with plenty of slack in the cables.

I know you did memtest though it may have only been one pass. Couldn't hurt to let memtest run overnight.

Not using VM's, cables are not bundled, I did try resetting the marvel controllers, I have ordered 1 non-marvel controller in case that has something to do with it. Connectors are on solid and have plenty of slack. I am not sure what VT-d is. 

Should I just remove the 2 drives that are showing unmountable?

You already have a disabled disk and single parity. You can't start the array if you remove any disks unless you New Config and rebuild parity. And if you New Config, you can't rebuild disk1.

I guess there is some possibility that everything else would work better without those disks but maybe not.

I need to review the thread.