Windows 7 Slow Copy

kizer

4.7Pro

I normally use WindowsXP SP3.

Saturday I picked up a little machine that I thought was a screaming deal and well its replacing my regular desktop. Dual Core 3.1 AMD, 4GB Ram, Gigabit Lan, 1TB. Dead quite which was the must.

I wrote some scripts a while back that do some file moving around for me when I do things. One of them would launch a batch script and run an app called theRenamer.exe which would rename a movie or tv show and move it to my unRAID machine in the uploads folder. I would later double check it to make sure its correct and then I would launch another script called themover.bat which would run xcopy from one folder to another, do some file scraping off the net using ember or mediainfoplus then it would delete the files.

The problem. Now when I run themover.bat it takes forever to copy a file. Sure its copying from my unRAID > mypc > unRAID since I'm not running it locally on the unRAID server, but normally it would take just under a few minutes to perform opposed to trying it on my Windows7 machine which after 10minutes I noticed it copied 30meg of a 1.6GB file.

I found this while searching around, but didn't know if anybody else noticed any thing like it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/why-is-windows-7-still-as-slow-as-vista-with-file/a5b548ad-9102-40f3-a320-6cd1cabd1f3d

When I move files it seems to do it just fine. I haven't tried TeraCopy yet, but I will this afternoon to see if its just a Windows Explorer thing.

Sure I could use Teracopy or simply just move the file by hand, but sometimes I set things up to be a bit more automated so I could simply click an icon and be done.

As well it came pre-installed with Mcafee which I typically do not use, but haven't thought of disabling it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure the problem is solved? The last statement I've read was: "Turn off Remove Differential Compression - didn't help"

I noticed some very strange behaviour of Win7 in some other context. I've installed mySQL server on a Win7 machine, and had awful slow access on the databases. After tweaking some TCP settings, I got better results, but still way slower than XP machines. Proble is still unsolved, the network maxes out at 30% while reaching 100% when accessing another XP machine. Switching between 100MBit and 1GBit changes nothing. I suppose the TCP/IP networking is somehow broken, but it's a factory new system...

After all those problems with Vista one should think M$ is taking those problems serious. But Win7 seems to be as stupid as Vista in most areas.

Yep seems to be fixed for me. I tried to move a 1.6GB file and after 10 or so minutes I said forget it and stoped it. I tried it (2) more times to make sure I wasn't smoking something.

After disabling that compression I can easily move a 1.6GB file in a mater of 90seconds. Of course thats an estimate since I haven't really clocked it, but way faster than before turning it off.

7 is a new Animal to me so I'm slowly figuring out what annoys me and what impresses me. ;)