Script to powerdown server on 2 invalid login attempt

Hello.

I would like to run a script in user scripts to power down the server after 2 invalid login attempt.

I've been searching the forum but haven't found anything similar.

The server could be doing some tasks so if a graceful shutdown is an option that would be preferred.

Would something like that be able to achieve? I'm on 6.10.3 if that matters.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Have you tried scheduling shutdown from the script with at command?

No i haven't. I don't want it to be on a schedule - i want the server to power down when there is a second invalid login attempt.

So maybe a script isn't what i need.

Is there any way to achieve this?

I didn't suggest you put it "on a schedule". google linux 'at' command.

The reason I suggested it is because I thought perhaps if you tried to run a script that directly executed shutdown, the shutdown wouldn't complete until the script completed, and the script couldn't complete until the shutdown command completed, so hung.

If you 'at' the shutdown command to run very soon, then the script could exit after the 'at' command completed, then the 'at' would execute shutdown.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:33 PM, trurl said:

I didn't suggest you put it "on a schedule". google linux 'at' command.

The reason I suggested it is because I thought perhaps if you tried to run a script that directly executed shutdown, the shutdown wouldn't complete until the script completed, and the script couldn't complete until the shutdown command completed, so hung.

If you 'at' the shutdown command to run very soon, then the script could exit after the 'at' command completed, then the 'at' would execute shutdown.

Oh I understand now. Sounds like a good idea. I will try using the at command.

Thank you for your input.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, kizer said:

You could tinker with this some. Obviously you want to change the script so it doesn't wipe out your machine, but instead tell it to watch your logs and preform a shutdown instead. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/vrinun/dead_mans_switch/?utm_source=BD&utm_medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

I've read the post and looked at the script. It looks promising.

I will have to learn some scripting to modify it.

Thank you for your input.