Drives running hot and unclean shutdown (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

So I have happily run my unpaid server for at least 3 years. After years of trouble free operation I am now having issues with random unclean shutdowns. I recently added a second parity drive and a live spare drive. I notice after the unclean shutdown that both of the new drives are running hot 46c. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

viki-diagnostics-20220809-1849.zip

Edited by macros the black
10 hours ago, trurl said:

Do you mean the server powers off unexpectedly? Or do you mean it hangs and you have to power it off? Or what?

I come home and find that the array is stoped and the 2 new drives are at 46c with notifications about the temps. The temperature thing may have nothing to do with the unclean shutdowns but I do have new case fans on the way as the drives in question are mounted below the path of the current intake fans. 

• Solution
10 hours ago, macros the black said:

I took no action it did all of this on its own. So it powered off on its own and rebooted itself. 

This suggests a hardware issue.   I would carefully check your cooling (especially the CPU fan) in case it is thermally related.   Another possibility since you say you recently added new drives would be that the PSU is overloading trying to handle the additional hardware.

As was mentioned the syslog server should allow a software trigger to be eliminated.

Regarding unclean shutdowns you may find this section of the online documentation to be helpful.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:42 AM, JorgeB said:

Update to latest stable and if issues persist enable the syslog server and post that after a crash.

ok so I will just give everyone an update on this. at this point I have all new case fans and a new cpu cooler as will as a new psu. the crashes are now acting more like crashes where the server locks up forcing me to hard restart. I'm attaching the latest syslog file as well. i jjust dont want to go down the wrong road on this as I cant seem to figure out the problem on my own.

syslog

On 8/13/2022 at 3:12 AM, itimpi said:

This suggests a hardware issue.   I would carefully check your cooling (especially the CPU fan) in case it is thermally related.   Another possibility since you say you recently added new drives would be that the PSU is overloading trying to handle the additional hardware.

As was mentioned the syslog server should allow a software trigger to be eliminated.

Regarding unclean shutdowns you may find this section of the online documentation to be helpful.

Ok so I’m back and forth on this issue. Just wanted to know I just realized the two new drives I just added are 7200rpm and the others are 5400rpm.  One of the new drives I mounted are a second parity drive. The other is unassigned and I had planed on having it as a live spare. 
could the drive differential in speed be causing the issue. 

2 hours ago, macros the black said:

Ok so I’m back and forth on this issue. Just wanted to know I just realized the two new drives I just added are 7200rpm and the others are 5400rpm.  One of the new drives I mounted are a second parity drive. The other is unassigned and I had planed on having it as a live spare. 
could the drive differential in speed be causing the issue. 

No - I have a mix of speeds in my system without it causing any problems.

I do not have any other ideas to suggest I am afraid :( 

On 8/18/2022 at 3:10 AM, JorgeB said:

Check here.

Everything was set up the way you suggest in your post. I’m currently running a memtest. If everything checks out on the mem test I think I’m going to bite the bullet and find a new mother board and cpu. I do want to thank everyone for there help and advice. I can’t be to upset the server has, no pun intended served me flawlessly for 5 years. As I am starting to think about 4k content running a Intel based system seems like a better route to go any way. 

On 8/13/2022 at 3:12 AM, itimpi said:

I would like to once again thank everyone for there suggestions. I ultimately ended up replacing far more then was probably needed but some of the stuff like the fans and coolers where things on my to do list any way. The ultimate culprit ended up being the cpu or the mother board. Ultimately I ended up replacing all the fans and coolers as well as the psu. I ended up with an Intel 12700k and an Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 main board. I also took the opportunity to install two 1tb m.2 nvme drives for cache and a 500gb for my Plex meta data. Thank you again for all the advice. 

• Like 1
  • macros the black changed the title to Drives running hot and unclean shutdown (SOLVED)