(Solved) Unable to change unRAID boot selection during startup

FQs19
Go to solution Solved by FQs19,

I'm currently running 6.10.3 with a Threadripper 3960X and an MSI TRX40 Pro 10G motherboard with a wired keyboard plugged into one of the usb3.0 motherboard headers. 

I'm able to use the motherboard in the Bios, but when the unRAID boot selection screen comes up I can't move the selection.

I've tried the cursor keys and the tab key. No key on the keyboard does anything. The keyboard is still receiving power since I can see the numlock key light lit up. 

I've also tried changing the USB Configuration in the Bios with no change. 

All I was trying to do was select the MemTest boot to test some new ECC memory I purchased. 

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Edited by FQs19
solved
On 8/11/2022 at 5:32 PM, trurl said:

Most still have USB2 headers.

Does the keyboard work on another computer? Have you tried another keyboard on your server? Does anything else work if you plug it into that port?

The motherboard has one USB2 header inside the case. Can't attach the keyboard outside the case to it.

The keyboard works in every situation except during the blue unRAID boot selection screen. And yes it works fine on other computers as well.

Right now I'm stuck with unRAID always booting to memtest and have no idea how to edit the flash drive so it boots into GUI mode. 

Can you tell me what file on the flash I need to edit to change the default unRAID boot mode from memtest to GUI?

After getting unRAID to boot back up into the GUI, I did extensive testing and I still can't change the boot selection during booting.

I've got no clue and hope someone here could help solve this problem. 

I've tried multiple keyboards, different USB3.0 ports, a USB2.0 header port, and I still couldn't change the boot selection during the booting process. 

The three keyboards I've tried all work perfectly fine on other computers. They also work in the bios and in the GUI, once unRAID starts, on the unRAID server. 

As a last resort, I even flashed a new USB flash drive, and I still couldn't change the boot selection option. 

I've checked the USB flash drive with CHKDSK and didn't find any errors. 

I've cleared the motherboard CMOS multiple times with no change. 

I'm wondering if there's some configuration on my flash drive that is causing this issue or if someone can spot something in my diagnostics that could be the culprit. 

7C92BFF9-4629-4092-91DC-8AB6943DA07E.thumb.jpeg.d13bfe578e9bfb0c3faf62360e2d1c8b.jpeg

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

threadripper19-diagnostics-20220814-1947.zip

• 6 months later...
  • FQs19 changed the title to (Solved) Unable to change unRAID boot selection during startup