what do you guys use to mount or shelve your servers?

ricsouthcott

I built this not to long ago out of birch Plywood. I wanted a place to put my machine and use my closet opposed to just throwing it on the floor.

Parts bins on the left, printer in the middle and I plan on eventually building some adjustable shelves about the server for my wifes papers. The supports that run from the front to the back wall are cut short to allow air to be blown to the back and escape opposed to being boxed in.

I had fun with it and I plan on rebuilding the hanging shelves up above so they match material wise. Eventually I'll build a large desk outside of the closet.

IMGP2313.JPG.9147b65e55273c407be1d9abe343bb2e.JPG

I'm lucky enough to have a pretty good size closet in my office. Put some shevles in for cable modem/router and then the servers just sit on hard pieces of wood below the shelf. Out of site, out of the way. I don't care how loud my fans are, since I close the closet door and I don't hear anything.

the problem with the Ikea rack is that it is about 12.5" deep and most rackmount servers are 20" to 28" deep.

I believe the Norco 4224 is about 26".

You might be able to attach 2 together to make it 25" deep.

Some wood glue, clamps and sanding. possibly a deck plate on the inside?

the price is right.

Here's another DIY Ikea project:

LackRack

I don't use one myself, but I've always wanted to build one.  Pretty unnecessary, though, since my server is a tower ;)

Very interesting. Any idea what this link was pointing to?

Current LACK tables have hollow legs; only the top 5 cm (2") is solid. Fitting equipment below the solid section may require the use of cavity plugs, such as these

Sorry, page not found!

Edit: Link seems to be working now...

• 1 month later...

I picked up an APC NetShelter 22U rack off of craigslist a few weeks ago.  Finally got my unRAID racked.  I sure wish I had two more of the SC933s.  I kick myself all the time for not buying more when they were on eBay for $199.

I also picked up that Apen MasterView KVM for $35 with all the cables!

PtNBM.jpg

Archived