Failed to use GTX 970 on Win 10 VM

Go to solution Solved by ilarion,

Hello,

Could someone help me?

What do i missed? I already test it success with Ubuntu but it does not with Windows 10. I already blind VGA Nvidia GTX 970 on Unraid 2700x Desktop.

Ubuntu should show screen into my main monitor 

Windows 10 show only black screen and no signal after that.

Same config Ubuntu and Windows 10.

Thanks you so much!

1ZZfQJD36r.jpg

bjbciBfZDo.jpg

o53LtFRJvZ.jpg

22 hours ago, ilarion said:

Put audio part of the gpu too in the VM template, don't pin 0/8 treads  to VM leav them for unraid use other couple.

Thanks you for your help. I already put audio part and don't pin 0/8 CPU. It does not work....

I upload log here:

6XTKLImwvi.jpg

Edited by meomapvn

So you are trying to install windows or is it already installed one ?

If you trying to install it, best practice is to install it with vnc and after installation enable RDP (remote desktop, or team viewer or etc) , after that attach the card to already installed system.

PS: the vbios that you are using is with different names(for ubuntu and windows from the screenshots)? Is it the same ? If it is bios from techpowerup and not one that you dump it from your card it wont work without editing. Sometimes bios that doesn't work with your card just being ignored and works but....

Edited by ilarion
23 hours ago, ilarion said:

So you are trying to install windows or is it already installed one ?

If you trying to install it, best practice is to install it with vnc and after installation enable RDP (remote desktop, or team viewer or etc) , after that attach the card to already installed system.

PS: the vbios that you are using is with different names(for ubuntu and windows from the screenshots)? Is it the same ? If it is bios from techpowerup and not one that you dump it from your card it wont work without editing. Sometimes bios that doesn't work with your card just being ignored and works but....

Thanks you again to help me.

#VNC:

I already tried to install VM Windows 10 with VNC success. But it does not show anything on my monitor after i change the Graphics Card to GTX 970.

#Attach graphics card without turn off??

How should i attach the card into VM while it is running? I only have 1 way is turn it off to change Graphics Card.

#Vbios:

I dump it by this video:

But my vBios is <70kbs. What the hell is going? I already tried to dump 3 times:

- First time is Secondary PCIE

- Second time is Primary  PCIE

- Third time again with / without Blind Graphic Card before i dump vBios.

3 times show only 1 same file.

What did i lost / miss?

GeForce GTX 970.rom

• Solution
55 minutes ago, meomapvn said:

Thanks you again to help me.

#VNC:

I already tried to install VM Windows 10 with VNC success. But it does not show anything on my monitor after i change the Graphics Card to GTX 970.

#Attach graphics card without turn off??

How should i attach the card into VM while it is running? I only have 1 way is turn it off to change Graphics Card.

#Vbios:

I dump it by this video:

But my vBios is <70kbs. What the hell is going? I already tried to dump 3 times:

- First time is Secondary PCIE

- Second time is Primary  PCIE

- Third time again with / without Blind Graphic Card before i dump vBios.

3 times show only 1 same file.

What did i lost / miss?

GeForce GTX 970.rom 59 kB · 0 downloads

#Attach graphics card without turn off?? - Where do you reed this ?

Upload xml and diagnostics and tell my the exact model of the card. Bios looks legeit when open it with hex editor maybe is only legacy or uefi. Maybe that is why it doesn`t start if it is only legacy.

Btw from what i remember with one gpu that has only legacy bios it is not showing windows boot process (tinycore)(because OVMF is uefi emulation) but when windows boot it was ok and showing desktop (just not the part before desktop), but if you don`t have nvidia drivers in windows installed it wont show when booted and only black screen. Did you try with vnc virtual card and 970 as a second card ?

PS: Are you seeing tinycore logo on UBUNTU VM when booting or first thing after start is desktop of ubuntu ?

Edited by ilarion
12 hours ago, ilarion said:

#Attach graphics card without turn off?? - Where do you reed this ?

Upload xml and diagnostics and tell my the exact model of the card. Bios looks legeit when open it with hex editor maybe is only legacy or uefi. Maybe that is why it doesn`t start if it is only legacy.

Btw from what i remember with one gpu that has only legacy bios it is not showing windows boot process (tinycore)(because OVMF is uefi emulation) but when windows boot it was ok and showing desktop (just not the part before desktop), but if you don`t have nvidia drivers in windows installed it wont show when booted and only black screen. Did you try with vnc virtual card and 970 as a second card ?

PS: Are you seeing tinycore logo on UBUNTU VM when booting or first thing after start is desktop of ubuntu ?

Thanks you many times again for your help! I fixed it follow your last post.

#VNC + GTX970 as secondary graphic card:

It work! After that i install driver and reboot with GTX970 as primary graphic card. It work like your suggess about BIOS legacy. But it show only screen after i success boot into Windows 10. How should i fix this problem? I want to show VM Bios when it start. Is it possible?

#Ubuntu VM:

I found only Ubuntu logo. I don't see any tinycore logo.

1 hour ago, meomapvn said:

Thanks you many times again for your help! I fixed it follow your last post.

#VNC + GTX970 as secondary graphic card:

It work! After that i install driver and reboot with GTX970 as primary graphic card. It work like your suggess about BIOS legacy. But it show only screen after i success boot into Windows 10. How should i fix this problem? I want to show VM Bios when it start. Is it possible?

#Ubuntu VM:

I found only Ubuntu logo. I don't see any tinycore logo.

So what is your card model ? Like all the letters and numbers....

7 hours ago, ilarion said:

Somewhere on the gpu there is a sticker get the info from there or if u have the box of it. But biostar that is manufacturer that i didn't here for many years :)

Try this one i only find one Biostar 970 and it looks like referent one.

Galaxy.GTX970.4096.140903.rom 173 kB · 0 downloads

This vBIOS does not success  to boot VM with same config that i success with my Dump vBios <70kb. 

This is my Graphic Card:  Link

I found another problem that Display Port Output don't cover 100 Hz. It run only 59Hz......

xACWrThu5Y.png

2 hours ago, meomapvn said:

This vBIOS does not success  to boot VM with same config that i success with my Dump vBios <70kb. 

This is my Graphic Card:  Link

I found another problem that Display Port Output don't cover 100 Hz. It run only 59Hz......

xACWrThu5Y.png

Look in nvidia panel what type of connection you use, because some vbioses are shit (or when you us from a diferent card) and report ports as other types of ports. I have 1070ti and use bios from  different brand because mine doesn't have quiet fan mode. So 1 of my DP doesn't work and 1 is working but in control panel says DVI :)....

As for the thing with the uefi problem you can try to download others from techpowerup and edit them as per spaceinvader video. The other think you could try is seabios (whitch is legacy bios emuletion) from the vm tab. But mind that to change bios type you have to make new vm. and new windows installation (you could do with the same windows installation but you have to convert your virtual drive to GPT and shit. as new installation it easy for you to do new).

nvidia.jpg

On 8/17/2022 at 8:07 PM, ilarion said:

Do you have 100Hz on baremetal? nad from nvidia screenshot that you post you doesn't have all the menus, i read your xml and saw that you use 5cores and ppl go about that odd numbers a representative for VM maybe that is why kvm hidden doesn't work for you.

Hi,

Thanks you for follow up this case.

Yes! My monitor is 34 Inch 165 Hz but i run it 100Hz. Panel on monitor say 100 Hz but display output for 60 Hz???? 

What is your means for "ppl go"?

1 hour ago, meomapvn said:

Hi,

Thanks you for follow up this case.

Yes! My monitor is 34 Inch 165 Hz but i run it 100Hz. Panel on monitor say 100 Hz but display output for 60 Hz???? 

What is your means for "ppl go"?

ppl go - people normally do.

Do you have some kind of motion interpolation or soap opera effect , or motion smoothing on you monitor ?

• 3 months later...

Hi, i have a similar issue on my VM using EVGA GTX 970 SSC

Today i've realized that my screen settings was on 60Hz. used to be 144Hz. but when i tried to change it there is no option aside from 60, did lots of troubleshooting:

• tested another DP cable = only 60Hz.
  • switch to HDMI = only 60Hz.
  • rebooted in baremetal = DP up to 165Hz. and HDMI 144Hz. same result with different cables.
  • NVIDIA driver wiped with DDU installed and installed fresh. = 60Hz.
  • Changed virtIO driver from 190 to latest 225-2 but VM crashes so revert back to ver. 190.

The only changes that i recall are related to Unraid OS updates.

image.thumb.png.77c7ca978743ddb623861729c61fd607.png

image.png.73cd850772b7ab6f74c7f0bffc778fc8.png