[Solved] Read Errors - Disk 6 in Error State

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

This morning I received a notification my unraid server (v6.9.2) that Disk 6 was disabled and 'in error state'. I've be very lucky and have not had to deal with any drive failures in many many years, I've replaced drives over the last few years due to age usually around 4-5 years rather then failures as they were not NAS drives. I prefer the proactive approach but probably due to paranoia more then anything LOL

I was going to run a File System Check, following the instructions in the Manual, Drive_shows_as_unmountable. Steps I've followed so far:

- Ran Diagnostic Tool

- Stopped the Array

- Powered Down Server

- Checked cables in Drive Trays and to LSI Card

- Powered Server back on, I have auto mount set as off

I was going to start in 'Maintenance Mode' but the Disk now shows as 'Unassigned' and the drive is no longer listed, I assume because it is not longer considered to be a valid drive for assignment? I have not started the array in maintenance mode or otherwise. Looking for some direction before I do anything further.

Do I leave the disk as 'Unassigned' and start the array in maintenance mode and do the File System Check, and repair the File System if needed?

Or should I just replace the drive and start the rebuild?

The drive is question was next to be replaced, so I already have a replacement drive pre-cleared and ready.

First thing I did was run the diagnostic tool, results attached. Maybe if someone could take a look? I've also attached the post-reboot syslog in case it might be helpful.

I appreciate any help and advice!

mrnas-diagnostics-20220813-1149.zip mrnas-syslog-20220813-1349.zip

Thanks trurl!

I noticed that the SMART report for disk6 was missing and just thought that that it was missing because it was disabled and couldn't be accessed by unraid. 

Here's the screenshot of Unassigned Devices, it's a precleared drive.

Unraid_unassigned.thumb.png.56db67d72f0dc8a9b67c499455332051.png

Here's the screenshot of the Array Devices, the only drive available in the dropdown list for drive6 is the same drive in the unassigned disks.

Unraid_ArrayDisks.png.70f6fc0703999b303c7e677e3605e849.png

I don't see the disk listed anywhere in the WebUI, I also checked System Devices under Tools as well. The drive is connected to a LSI SAS card so I didn't expect that it would show in the BIOS.

I physically swapped the 'Unassigned Device' drive and drive that was disk6 to rule out bad cable or bad connector and the 'Unassigned Device' drive was detected but the drive that was assigned to disk6 was still not detected. 

Should/Can I start the array with the disk missing? I wasn't sure if that would unassign the slot, making a drive rebuild impossible.

The Array Operations shows 'Stopped. Configuration valid.'

Unraid_ArrayOps.PNG.319bfb75d74a1eb95722e12fa7c650ac.PNG 

Array Devices, shows the disk 'Device is missing (Disabled), contents Emulated'.

Unraid_ArrayDevicesTooltip.png.1ee5aa8cd357d4c770a49af73a9cff83.png

Here's a new diagnostics just incase it's useful. 

mrnas-diagnostics-20220813-1744.zip

• Seonac changed the title to [Solved] Read Errors - Disk 6 in Error State