Moving from TrueNAS to Unraid?

I am a photographer / Getting into video

So I'm currently running the TrueNas scale.

My primary usage is a Media storage server. I work on video edits sometimes but mainly as my photo storage for client work.

Specs:

- 16GB ddr4

- 1x 512 NVME drive to house the OS (I know, I literally couldn't find a cheaper NVME)

- 4x 8TB Iron wolfs in raid 5 modes with one parity drive

- full 10 gig home networking

My plugin list is small,

- Resillio to sync library files between machines

- Postgres SQL for hosting DaVinci Resolve Server for projects

- Some plugin to backup all the media to a google drive nightly ( I got an unlimited corporate account that gets dumps of data for backup, won't always be the case as my current day time gigs gets me this)

- VPN to get into things when I'm on the go.

I would like to kind of maximize the performance of the 10gig networking. I am currently getting anywhere from 200-1000 MB/s data transfer, depending on how happy the ram is, with 16 gigs not super all the time. I would like to read and write faster when I'm working and just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Coming from the QNAP system, the Truenas scale is missing some quick glace features that I liked and double commander is not very intuitive. For example on QNAP I could physically see the DB files for postgres, currently I have no idea how to actually find them on truenas scale. Overall I'm happy, but given my config, I can't help but wonder if using USB and having the SSD as a cache drive with unraid would be the best option as well as closer feel to qnaps simplicity.

Given 3 their coaching on truenas, adding another NVME and using it as ARC cache seems like would be really bottlenecked by the small ram size.

I would be expanding it over time, and i know the pains of having to buy a ton of the same drives at a time with ZFS.

So i guess my question really is what should i go with for my setup, i feel that the 512 cache drive would be good, as i don't generally transfer more than 256 gigs cards at once from PC to server and the NVME speed should be fine to saturate the 10gbe networking. I'm just not 100 % sure how good caching is on unraid, if it would work well for uploading and reading data. At most I would have two users touching the NAS, but generally one. HALP!!!!

EDIT:

I guess one thing that I'm most worried about as well is bitrot, is there a good way to handle this with unraid? I have a ton of personal and client work that i want to keep in check but not sure how scrubs work in unraid for data protection.

With a fast NVMe device you can basically get line speed with 10GbE, note that not all NVMe devices can sustain high write speeds, cheaper devices use SLC or pseudo SLC cache and can only sustain max write speed for a few GBs.

4 hours ago, TheEugeneKam said:

EDIT:

I guess one thing that I'm most worried about as well is bitrot, is there a good way to handle this with unraid? I have a ton of personal and client work that i want to keep in check but not sure how scrubs work in unraid for data protection.

See here for a recent discussion about existing options.

• Thanks 1