Dashboard CPU % Calculation?

Bob_C

Hi,

I have an overclocked 2500k which can boost to 4.5Ghz (base is 3.3GHz).  Using the CoreFreq plugin and using the inbuilt 'Atomic Burn' tool to stress the CPU, the plugin reports that all 4 cores do indeed ramp up to 4.5 under fullload.  At this level the CPU reaches a maximum and stable 60 degrees.

Currently I am running 2 x Preclear processes and a move 7TB of files from a USB drive to the array, and running a few dockers including Duplicacy uploading to the cloud.  WHilst all this going on CoreFreq graph shows occasioanlly the CPU cores hitting 3.3 Ghz and occasionally 3.7Ghz, but nowhere near 4.5Ghz that it can ramp up to.  The Dashboard is reporting 100% on cores when hitting loads.  Given that my CPU temp is a steady 38 and occasional 40 degrees, I suspect the % load is incorrect.

What determines the % utilisation and load of the CPU/cores used in the dashboard?  Any any way to get it to reflect load as a % of the overclocked speed of 4.5Ghz?  Thanks

Does that impact the actual % number?  If CoreFreq reports that  max 3.7Ghz is reached whilst watching it for a few minutes, and never hits 4.5 that it is capable of, then I would not expect the dashboard to be reporting anything over ~80%  let alone 100%

Example:

Ok, thanks.  It's still a bit counter-intuitive for my grey matter!  But I suppose it's possible for a CPU not to be overclocked and for Intel speedstep not to be in use and therefore the CPU may be 'running' at 'full speed' but doing no 'work' per se.  Looks like I would need a bit more info about IO wait and 'utilisation' as it looks more involved than I imagined!

Ta.