How to restrict access to individual files/directories

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

We are in the process of setting up our unRAID server at home and we have gotten to the stage of share creation. My idea was that all of us (3 users at home) would just create shares and manage other's access that way. But the other two have a more "conventional" understanding of computers, they just want to see the server as one big hard drive and restrict access to individual files/directories.

As of now I have not found a good way of doing this, so my question is, is there a way to do it, or what is the way to do it? The files would have to be shared to windows and linux machines as well.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

security of folders/files is managed at the share level.

I remember reading somewhere (sorry can't find the source) that share security and file security are two different things. So just to clarify if I understand correctly: With unRAID they are one and the same?

• Solution
6 hours ago, KeriBoti said:

I remember reading somewhere (sorry can't find the source) that share security and file security are two different things. So just to clarify if I understand correctly: With unRAID they are one and the same?

In theory one could do clever things by going under the hood and manipulating the underlying Linux file/folder level permissions, but in practice for most purposes file security and share level security end up being the same thing when using Unraid.